Fly Tying
DaveB

Bumble Bee

I am not super thrilled with the turnout. The leg proportion gave left me scratching my head and I ended up making mistakes. Wings seem a little long to me but I had fun tying it. It gives me ideas and techniques for the next round.

Dave

post-15549-1226242090_thumb.jpg

post-15549-1226242130_thumb.jpg

The bee looks good, and as you stated it was an learning experience that will certainly be a foundation to build upon resulting in versions that you will be more satisfied with. I purchased Fred's CD as well, but unfortunately haven't had a chance to try any of the patterns yet.

Ron

Great job. I, personally, dislike tying legs. I may start tying my bugs without legs and say I tore them off :wallbash:

Good Day,

Not bad... May I make a suggestion with regard to legs? Next time use micro chenille. Light a candle and (this might require a little practice) wave the micro chenille over the flame. When done right it will slightly melt the chenille and taper it. Make sure it is a synthetic chenille and not natural, other wise it will just burn and small bad.

Steelie

Thanks Guys. Steelie that you mention that. I did that on a Paul Whillock's caterpiller and the chenille was natural. I had to blow it out and it smelled bad. LOL!

Dave

Good Day,

Dave - Ha! Funny! Or maybe not that funny because boy does the cotton stink! You know, I don't know how much chenille is still made of cotton these days, but you can kind of tell the difference by looking at it. Good luck on your next bee!

Steelie