Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
iso18

when shaving the hair from my fox squierrls

should i blend the belly hair with the body hair?I plan to mix it for dubbing nymphs.

shane

When cleaning off a hide of hair for dubbing, I always try to get as many different color and texture combinations as functionally possible. So, simply I would mix some and keep some unmixed, just make sure you label each combination so you know what it is specifically and can let others know what it is.

My .02

I've always prefered to keep such things separate, then mix them later for tying. This way you can mix in any ratio you need. Once they're mixed, you can't un-mix them.

I do however agree with Old Hat about labeling. Accurate labeling allows you to get the same blend next time you need it.

should i blend the belly hair with the body hair?I plan to mix it for dubbing nymphs.

shane

Sure, why not, although I too prefer to keep things unblended unless I have a "standard" batch in mind that I want to keep a standing supply of (for example, I always keep a pre-mixed blend of hair taken from the darker areas of a standard hare's mask, just because I constantly have uses for that particular blend.) But, in either case, I would also want to leave some body hair intact on the skin as well so it's available for tailing nymphs.

-- Mike

Hi Shane, God please tell me the Squirrels are dead, I had a vision in my head of you and a straight razor down at the park, saying Here Squirrel. Just kidding.

Cheers Futzer.

These guys seem to give you something to" chew on" or at least the squirrel anyway. But once you have the blend , take out a small portion and experiment by putting in a very small amount ice dubbing(very small) then mix together'You can purchaes a product like crystal dub which is the same thig. This adds a slight" bling" to it

Is Fox Squirrel a code word for something else?

no.Fox squierrl is a species of squierrl,somepeople like to call them red squierrls but there not.A true red squierrl is even smaller than a gray squierrl. there prolific in northern and central wv referred to by old timers as" ferry diddles".The fox squierrl is the king of all tree inhabitting squierrls.I killed 3 yesterday and i will be using them for my tying needs.Killed them in the woods(mountains )behind my houise,trust me they r very wild and not at all tame.

shane

Hi Shane, God please tell me the Squirrels are dead, I had a vision in my head of you and a straight razor down at the park, saying Here Squirrel. Just kidding.

Cheers Futzer.

read post 10 futzer

good day

shane

We have Red and Grey squirrels here, the Reds can definitely be a problem (getting into garages, attics, camps, etc).

We have Red and Grey squirrels here, the Reds can definitely be a problem (getting into garages, attics, camps, etc).

I know there has been a red squierrl (ferry diddle) at my camp every since i can remember,knawed a hole through the roof and woke me and my son up one morning setting on the stove chattering away. :hyst:

shane