Fly Tying
steelie

Glow in the dark flies

Good Day,

This is something I have thought about ever since my trips to New Zealand. Why don't more people use glow in the dark flies? In New Zealand they have proven their worth both in lakes and rivers. Most of their luminescent patterns are streamers. So taking this into mind I have been working with various glow in the dark patterns over the years with, frankly, pretty good success I might add. For example, when I lived in Singapore (mostly saltwater fishing at that time as the resevoirs were illegal to fish in back then) I would slide one of those little green "eggs" over the eye of the hook and caught more fish at night than without the glow bead. Having caught rainbows and browns in New Zealand I brought the concept back with me when I returned to Michigan. And again, good success at night on all species, salmonids and panfish alike. Look, ice fishers use glow in the dark jigs, why not use this concept at other times of the year too? Or how about a glow in the dark fly for dock light snook? Deadly...

Although fly shops sometimes have limited supplies of glow in the dark materials, I find most of mine at Hobby Lobby or online. For example I have found paints that claim to glow for upwards of 6-8 hours! But usually on a fly there is less material so the glow time is shorter. But it can be very intense and bright. Just get one of those cheap camera flashes and throw it in your vest. Make sure you hide the flash or turn away from the area you are fishing so as not to spook the fish.

While most of my glow in the dark patterns are streamers, I do not limit these materials just to streamers. Remember the glow egg I mentioned earlier? I use it as the abdomen on a green caddis (rhyco..) pupae with devastating results. And here is one I really like... I recently have developed a glow in the dark dry fly. I call them Para Glow's as, well, they are flies with glow in the dark parachute posts. The post is foam that has been painted with a long lasting glow in the dark paint then given a coat of clear nail polish. What I think is cool about this is that I have paced out over 40 feet away from the fly yet could still see it clearly in the dark. Also, being a parachute, the hackle blocks the glow from below so the fish can't see it. My reasoning for this is so much to really "see" your fly as to assist with tracking it. Even those of us with the best eyesight can have difficulty tracking a fly at dusk or after dark. We have to depend on "feel" and our hearing. But with the glow in the dark para post... it makes it just a little easier.

So - do you use glow in the dark materials too? It would be interesting to hear what others are doing. BTW - for those of you going to the Mason show in December... well, let's just say a may have a "glow" trick up my sleeve... :rolleyes:

Steelie

Shhhh Steelie, don't let that secret out. I use GITD crystal flash and GITD paint for eye backgrounds on barbells, and a few tricks that I won't mention.

Good post, Futzer.

i made a glow in the dark firefly imitation once. it didnt work. so i caught some naturals and threw them on the water. the fish didnt hit those either. but i have had some small success fishing at night with some glowing subsurface patterns.

I've had some decent success with luminous flies, but I don't always turn to them. I recently posted a luminous nymph in the warmwater forum, which has done me well on bluegills and even a couple LMB. I have a friend who introduced me to a couple of great places, and in the springtime for bluegills he swears by a small cork popper on about a #10 or #8 hook that is painted with GITD paint. I think he calls them "Lightning Bugs" and they are sold around here in tackle shops and gas stations. It is pretty much all he uses in the spring for "bream" fishing. He catches a LOT with them.

In my mind, this kind of parallels the issues about using scent on flies--- The rest of the fishing world has all kinds of GITD lures, just like they have ten thousand different masking or attracting scents, and they don't think twice about using them. We used to use GITD spoons and squids trolling for Great Lakes salmon, and did very good with them.

I plan to get some GITD paint to put on the wingcases of my Hex emergers for next spring's bluegill fishing. When the Hex are coming off right after dark and the fish are going nuts, it is hard to keep track of my fly. I don't think it will make any difference to the fish, because the light will be pointing toward the sky- but it will make it much easier for me to see my fly disappear when a fish eats it.

and a few tricks that I won't mention.

Futzer.

Why not?

I got to keep a couple things to myself, so you younger guys don't always outfish me. But since you mentioned it, I will give out one more. I dip glass beads in clear glow in the dark paint, let them dry then dip them in softex, makes for really cool bead heads, and caddis larva. Find a high alpine mountain lake and a full moon possibly one you have to hike into, and go out after dark, That is some big fun. Oh, and the added softex makes the beads easier to keep in place on the hook with less thread. Ok, #2, dip your strike indicators in GITD paint and when you are nymphing at dusk, us older guys, ok, 47 but the eyesite is finally going a little, can see our indicators real good.

Ok, thats enough for now, :rolleyes: Jeff

I am for anything that improves my catch ratio. I wish we had more info on how fish see, ecspecially in low light conditions. and what parts of their prey have reflective qualities we my try to immitate. I know that we have bioluminescent creatures in the water as well as on land. Some jellyfish light up .But my best fishing sucess at night has been with dark baits . It seems that the fish can see the dark silloette better. Or it could be I fished the fly with more confidence since it worked for me before.

, #2, dip your strike indicators in GITD paint and when you are nymphing at dusk,...

...eye backgrounds on barbells,

Thanks, my eyes are not as they were, and I like the idea of a 'cat eyed' streamer.

Re GITD - I wonder how steelhead would respond.

Any tidbits and tips appreciated.

Michael

Quiet Steelie. I to used glow in the dark flies during my travels to New Zealand back in the early 90's and have never looked back. I stock some glow in the dark items in the store but no one ever buys any of it. The new UV Glo pens are the coolest.

HI All;

This is an interesting topic.

After this year's fishing season I've decided I need a more visible topwater pattern for Bass & panfish at dusk. I typically use a gurple pop or Gartside's gurgler. Any ideas on what I can incorporate into those patterns that glows???

Also, what subsurface panfish patterns have people tried?

Other than git flash, git paint what other git materials are availble?

Thanks in advance;

Wayneb

Uni glo yarn, Everglo tubing, Aqua Glo, beads, EP Fibers, EP Shrimp dubbing, Sili Legs, Otter Eggs, chenille, etc..

HI All;

After this year's fishing season I've decided I need a more visible topwater pattern for Bass & panfish at dusk. I typically use a gurple pop or Gartside's gurgler. Any ideas on what I can incorporate into those patterns that glows???

Thanks in advance;

Wayneb

HI All;

Thanks in advance;

Wayneb

look in my patterns for my night time gurglar that fly has caught everything from panfish to beasty browns over 10 lbs

as for steelhead steelie showed me a great fly for them last year at mason that incorporates a glitd egg its a killer

Quiet Steelie. I to used glow in the dark flies during my travels to New Zealand back in the early 90's and have never looked back. I stock some glow in the dark items in the store but no one ever buys any of it. The new UV Glo pens are the coolest.

UV glow pens, I want some!!!!!!! Dhise, it is a good thing for me that your shop is so far away. Oh and I agree with Fred, that a black fly on a black night works great too. I carry both. I would have to say I like the UV best in light transitional periods. vs. total darkness.

I think the reason that they are not as popular, is because simply people are old fashion,they tend to hang with patterns that they catch fish on all the time,Which is sensible,but try this,the next time you go fishing only bring a few of your "Regulars" and pack the rest with new patterns that you haven't tryed yet, So you will be forced to catch fish on new patterns,Or Glow flies,in this case.