Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Silverfishflies

Polar Pony Fly

post-3131-1227634556_thumb.jpg

Hello,

After all of the positive comments I received at the International Symposium regarding the Icelandic Polar Pony flies, I thought I would post one. The Fly virtually covers my Regal Big Game vise, and by using the Bob Popovics Hollow-Fleye method in the body of the fly, the tyer can easily create an impression of bulk without the weight.

Thanks to all who stopped by, see you in January at the Somerset Show.

Steve Silverio

Stellar looking fly Steve. Looks like an interesting product to tie with.

Thanks Pacres,

It is wonderful material. The Icelandic horse is quite a unique equine, providing the fly tyer with tail, mane & body hair to use in a variety of ways for many species. Here is an example of what can be done using the mane & body hair in the Templedog style - or more correctly, Temple pony.

post-3131-1227648634_thumb.jpg

By the way, Happy Birthday, hope you are having a good one!

Steve

Wow that First fly looks like a Reef Fish! Almost too good to eat! That material looks like it practically blends with itself, Give us a picture of one of them wet!

It was great to meet you at the show Steve. I loved your flies you were tying with the icelandic pony, they are pretty impressive and I am sure are killer in the water. The hair seems that it would shed water and so cast quite well.

It was great to meet you at the show Steve. I loved your flies you were tying with the icelandic pony, they are pretty impressive and I am sure are killer in the water. The hair seems that it would shed water and so cast quite well.

post-3131-1228146891_thumb.jpg

Hello Mike,

It was very nice meeting you as well. Thank you for your compliments. Despite the economic climate, I thought that the show was very well attended and all the tyers I spoke with were equally positive about the turnout & activity at their booths. Not to mention the variety of materials & tying styles that were present.

With regard to the Polar Pony, the included photo shows a number of go-to flies used around the Chesapeake Bay-Bridge Tunnel, where deep jigging, full-profiled patterns usually in chartreuse really produce. The two lead headed flies at the bottom of the photo were cut from their leaders, shaken & laid down on deck with the others. They show little of the water they had been soaking in just moments before. The mane is great for smallmouth flies as well!

Steve

post-3131-1227634556_thumb.jpg

Hello,

After all of the positive comments I received at the International Symposium regarding the Icelandic Polar Pony flies, I thought I would post one. The Fly virtually covers my Regal Big Game vise, and by using the Bob Popovics Hollow-Fleye method in the body of the fly, the tyer can easily create an impression of bulk without the weight.

Thanks to all who stopped by, see you in January at the Somerset Show.

Steve Silverio

Real nice tie and great picture too.

Wanted to add, tied with the tail too, very nice material, but lordy its expansive for the small amount you get. Here are three I tied mixed with bucktail.

js-bigbunkerwithpony.jpg

jigponyolivechart-clouser-lr.jpg

jigponlyclouser-grey-lr.jpg

Nice ties and materials! Got done reading the article in the mags. and its appears to be some nice stuff and will get some for spring fishing.

Thanks again for all your comments.

If anyone is interested in viewing the material in person, I will be tying at the Regal Booth at the Fly Fishing Show in Somerset, NJ on Jan. 23-25, and Tiefest, at the Kent Narrows Yacht Club on Feb.14.

post-3131-1231515758.jpg

Steve