Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DHise

Glow in the dark....

There has been a lot of research and talk lately with respect to fish and how they respond to luminescence, UV light, and polarization. I tied up some worms with a glow in the dark material and gave them a try the other day. It was a cold morning and water temps were in the high 30's. Fishing was tough for my clients. I changed fly after fly and we couldn't buy a fish. After about 3 hours, I decided to throw on Squirmy. All I can say is, UNBELIEVABLE. We hit fish after fish on this glow in the dark pattern the rest of the day (35-50 fish day between 2 anglers). Not one fish took the nymph at the top when Squirmy was on the line. I am now a believer.

3072037608_4ee6735135.jpg

There has been a lot of research and talk lately with respect to fish and how they respond to luminescence, UV light, and polarization. I tied up some worms with a glow in the dark material and gave them a try the other day. It was a cold morning and water temps were in the high 30's. Fishing was tough for my clients. I changed fly after fly and we couldn't buy a fish. After about 3 hours, I decided to throw on Squirmy. All I can say is, UNBELIEVABLE. We hit fish after fish on this glow in the dark pattern the rest of the day (35-50 fish day between 2 anglers). Not one fish took the nymph at the top when Squirmy was on the line. I am now a believer.

3072037608_4ee6735135.jpg

is that a glow in the dark vernile or is it vernile you colored after?

It is neither. I will have to lock you up if I tell you what it is. Hint: It comes from a kids toy. :ph34r:

My 2yr old has a similar toy....

no further comment :ph34r:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

good for fireflies also

so this naturally leads into the question- is fishing with a plastic worm on a fly rod really fly fishing? Just throwing it out there.... It's fun to watch people start going at it.

In that case, is a fly really a fly if you are utilizing synthetics to tie it? Or, is the operative word "tie"?

Does it really matter if you're enjoying the activity and it is legal?

If tying with synthetic materials in my flies means they are not really flies, then I need to find me a new website because I am neither a purist or elitist, I like to tie with whatever I can come up with or use, or afford,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm thinking that stuff would be great for scuds, like Navigators 'crystal scud' and caddis too! Hummm . . . . .

Looks like I need to run up to Toys R Us!!

The toys are fairly expensive. I can get you a pack for $1.95. This pack will tie tons of flies.