Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dafunk5446

Royal Rabbit

I always used either prince nymphs or gold ribbed hare's ears when fishing for carp. One day I was sitting around tying a bunch up, and decided to mix the two together. Turned out to be a really good fly for carp. I tie it with and without bead heads. Either way its a good fly. Let me know if you have seen this fly before, and if it already has a name.

better.jpg

topviewcarp.jpg

I'd say it looks like a royal rabbit! :P I like it it looks like a killer gill fly too probably even a trout fly. I love the picked out dubbing.

It is also in fact a good fly for both trout and gills. If fishing it as a carp fly make sure there are no gills in the pond, otherwise they wont leave it alone!!!

That is a Harey prince. I use them for trout in a #16 and smaller. I use sulpher, olive and white wings depending on the hatch. Great fly BTW. It has been the downfall to several nice trout for me. Hope it does the same for you.

STU

It's always fun to mix patterns. I like to do it a lot just to get creative. One of my favorite things to do is take trout patterns and mold them into steelhead patterns or vise versa.

Yeah I figured it wasn't a new pattern (what really is anymore?), since its just a combination of two of the best flies out there. I would have to say I like my name more though! :P

It's interesting to think of what that could represent to the fish...it has several really nice qualities.

yeah not sure what they are thinking it is, but once a carp sees it they rush over for it. Something about it drives um nuts.