Fly Tying
Scorpio

Czech nymph

Dear all,

finally I saved some time and documented for you my tying process.

Important points:

1 - I use eleastic tying thread

2 - you can put lead wire in 2-3 layers (as you need), then coat with nail polish (fix the body)

3 - fix nylon 0,10-0,12 mm and vinyl back

4-5 - form the body

6 - finish the fly with vinyl back and rib the body using nylon, make legs using needle

7 - dorsal view, the body is fluted and flat

good luck Scorpio

PS - my Rhyacophila tying process will be followed soon :-)

Question for you?

Why do you tie the lead to the top of the hook? This tying method would make the fly ride upside down.

I have been tying Czech Nymphs for competition, and By every step by step I have seen, and every Czech Nymper I have spoke to ties them with flat "Sticky Back" lead.

Is there a reason you tie it on the top only? I would be interested in knowing your reasoning for this, Maybe I need to tie a few that will ride upsidedown.

Here are some pics of How I have been shown to tie on the lead.

P1011020.JPG

Rick Passek

Rick,

generally, Czech nymph is tied as you show. That´s standard process. Czech nymph comprises various benthic larva - various genera. You can tie Hydropsyche, Rhyacophila, some larva and scud. The majority of tiers apply just only rounded body profile using lead wire or foil. However I distinguish three kinds of body. See my attachment. With respect to the body, scud should sink faster than Bobesh. I hope you understand to my poor English :crying:

post-17741-1236244603_thumb.jpg

There are my next successful patterns of Czech nymph. The white one isn´t tied by traditional process. Skin is made from condom. It is deadly fly in the fast water, suitable for brown trouts. If you will be interested, I put my tying process in.

post-17741-1236246376_thumb.jpg

post-17741-1236246383_thumb.jpg

post-17741-1236246395_thumb.jpg

what did you use for the shell back. looks pretty tastee .fish should snarff em

It isn´t shell back, but you can use it also without any problem :rolleyes:

It is deadly fly in the fast water, suitable for brown trouts. If you will be interested, I put my tying process in.

I would like to see it.

Ray

The white one isn´t tied by traditional process. Skin is made from condom.

:blink: Talk about resourceful. I know now that I do not put near enough effort and creativity into my fly tying. LOL

On a serious note very nice nymphs. Czech nymphing is my goto method. Still the most deadly method I have ever seen by far. As far as orientation goes I would bet that a barb up presentation is irrelevant as the drift will present food items at random orientation. I sometimes eat my burger upside down. Tastes the same. Also, I had a chance to observe a batch of gammarus in a tank environment. They scoot about right-side and upside down. I would not concern myself with barb orientation. Also, czech nymphing is so quickly paced - if done so in rapid water - the whole point is to not give the fish time to think but rather react out of instinct. Just a theory.

RB

I recommend warmly the book by Karel Krivanec: Czech Nymph, written in Czech and English as well: http://www.czechnymph.com/en/index.php?&am...;product_id=146

short pdf from this book see: http://www.czechnymph.com/uimg/pimg/books/BCZ_EN.pdf

Everything is very nice, which is written here. I like fishing on the small rivers and streams in the mountains and have got some experiences that Czech Nymph can´t be dogma. I don´t believe that described style is unmodifiable. According to my experience there are some myths.

1) the author writes, it is better method for grayling than for trout, because isn´t too shy. It is paradoxical, I catch 75% of trouts at least (data from 5 rivers).

2) nymph must be heavy to sink down fast. My note: you have to combine depth and velocity. I have found that for trout in the shallow water (approx. down to 50 cm of depth), it isn´t neccessary to get nymphs on the bottom. Trout usually atac the nymph in the water column.

3) Sometime, it is better to combine Czech Nymph (Bobesh, Larva, Scud) with wet fly or some goldhead.

4) I don´t believe that described shape of Bobesh body is the only one right. You can tie Czech nymph on the gammarus hook as you want and need. Usually, you adjust the body to your local conditions.

5) Fishing for short distance isn´t possible in all cases.

6) It´s better method for fast flowing river. Fish can´t get a chance to look at the nymph for a long time.

Here is my river. I like it. It is very nice water for Czech nymphing.

post-17741-1236325026_thumb.jpg

post-17741-1236325038_thumb.jpg

Awesome! thanks for the step by step!!

-Clint

I could not have said it better. Thanks Scorpio.

It is deadly fly in the fast water, suitable for brown trouts. If you will be interested, I put my tying process in.

I would like to see it.

Ray

Ray,

cut ribbon of condom approx 4-6 mm wide (must be washed and dried, take off surface oil), use long and sharp scissors, tie body using body thread, you can rib it. Cover the body using condom ribbon (approx. 3 layers) and then you can rib using nylon 0,10-0,12 mm, form thorax (I like opssum) and make back (I use polycelon foam), adjust the back using scissors and finish the larva. - Very easy and effective :rolleyes:

Secondly, as the throax material you can use camel bird feather and make back of condom. Use permanent maker and finish the larva.

In the end, you can use condom as skin material generally. I tied caddis pupa. All depends on your fantasy. I think that condom is very good skin material - natural looking and smooth.

Good luck Scorpio

post-17741-1236614763_thumb.jpg

post-17741-1236614774_thumb.jpg

post-17741-1236614786_thumb.jpg