Fly Tying
LilAnglette

Trying to piece together a gift for beginner

Sorry, I believe it was the hackle pliers that looked completely different to me. It's the far left tool that looks like a little knife on the left hand side of the bamboo kit :)

They're "rotating" hackle pliers, where the ones in your original kit are standard versions. He should be happy with either!

Lil Anglette_

Yup, that's a nice kit with quality tools. The rotating hackle pliers are a nice addition and replace the less expensive "English style" hackle pliers in the other kit.

Let us know if you or your BF need suggestions for materials down the road, or have any questions based on whatever he wants to tie for trout or SW.

Good luck!

peregrines

i think the best gift you could give him is a free membership to flytyingforum.com

the best fly tying tool he could ever find

bud

Haha, I second that motion. He will be promptly notified of this wonderful community upon immediate opening of his gift :) I was able to pick up a flytying book last night for him. I think it's a book by Bob Clouser since clouser ties were mentioned somewhere along this thread:)

i think the best gift you could give him is a free membership to flytyingforum.com

the best fly tying tool he could ever find

bud

Haha, I second that motion. He will be promptly notified of this wonderful community upon immediate opening of his gift :) I was able to pick up a flytying book last night for him. I think it's a book by Bob Clouser since clouser ties were mentioned somewhere along this thread:)

Yuppers clouser minnows is probabl what that books about hell love it He probably uses clouser minnows if he fishes salt water and for bass

Hi everyone! This is Lilanglette's boyfriend. I just wanted to say "thank you" to everyone for helping my girlfriend pick out the vise and tools - they're fantastic :yahoo: . Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to start tying flies let alone go fishing very often but it looks like I may have some free time coming my way. :)

Lilanglette and I actually had the chance to go out to Basspro tonight to pick up materials for my first flies - wooly buggers! I got some marabou, hackle, chenille, hooks, lead wire and head cement, but I forgot to get some thread! :wallbash: :bugeyes::crying: I have some rod building thread [gudebrod nylon size A and D] and was actually wondering if I can use it to tie my first wooly buggers? I'm going back tomorrow to get some real fly tying thread.

i would probably not suggest using the rod building thread. it will be a lot thicker than what you will use after tomorrow, and i find that i use the same thread for almost every fly i tie. This is the case because i have become aware of breaking points, and the way the thread works. realizing that you would only be using it for a short time, i would still suggest not, never want to start out with bad habits and have to work them out, always easier to try and get it right the first time. Congrats on this really cool gift, sounds like you will have lots of fun with it and maybe a partner that will get into it also to spend some good quality time with. Good Luck.

I think you are doing a great thing for him. As for materials find him a beginners class to take and he'll get the materails as he goes for his home work. Then he will have what he needs and can add on as he picks up new patterns. I wish I'd done this.