Fly Tying
Claudia

Flies from the vice.

This week I have been tying a few different things Water boatman,cased caddis pupa,red back pheasant.

P2060037.jpg

P2060038.jpg

P2060039.jpg

P2060040.jpg

P2060036.jpg

P2060035.jpg

This week from the vice tying Sulfer Duns size 14 and Sulfer Spinners size 16 for a swap.

Enjoy!

003-3-1.jpg

This week I have been tying a few different things Water boatman,cased caddis pupa,red back pheasant.

P2060037.jpg

Grizzlyking

Do you have much luck fishing those boatman. I've always wondered if trout ate them.

Is that swiss straw for the legs?

Really like those cased caddis too. What did you use for the abdomen on the tan cased caddis?

Sweet flies!

A couple of midge emergers

Hook: tmc 2487 #16

Body: Black tying tread with some uni-mylar tread to make some flash :)

Thorax: Black dubbing (1) and Ostrich herl (2)

Wing: White cdc paraloop (1) and a white cdc feather (2)

Terje!

post-19753-1233965655_thumb.jpg

post-19753-1233965705_thumb.jpg

Hi Ridleyffo

The water boatman works great on a lot of the lake's around here,I fish them on either a sink tip line or a full sink.The legs on the boatman are green stretch floss,when you rap the body material from front to back and then back to the hook eye, tie off the shell back and finish the fly.Then all you have to do is thread the floss through the body using a needle it works great and is fast to tie.The body material on the cased caddis are body feathers from a hen pheasant, they are tied in by the tips and wound forward. It took about three to four feathers to do the body,once you get the lenght of the body you wont just trim to shape.

This week from the vice tying Sulfer Duns size 14 and Sulfer Spinners size 16 for a swap.

Enjoy!

003-3-1.jpg

Broadhead what did you use for the body of the sulphur spinner..Those are some schweeet flys!

Hi Ridleyffo

The water boatman works great on a lot of the lake's around here,I fish them on either a sink tip line or a full sink.The legs on the boatman are green stretch floss,when you rap the body material from front to back and then back to the hook eye, tie off the shell back and finish the fly.Then all you have to do is thread the floss through the body using a needle it works great and is fast to tie.The body material on the cased caddis are body feathers from a hen pheasant, they are tied in by the tips and wound forward. It took about three to four feathers to do the body,once you get the lenght of the body you wont just trim to shape.

Thanks a bunch Grizzlyking. Just learned two new techniques from you. I really like the way you tied in those hen pheasant feathers, really give a nice chunky and different look to it. You rock :headbang:

I was originally thinking they were water striders, I think sometimes called boatman, but after hearing you fish them deep, I realize the boatman you are imitating. I've found them one year cleaning out my pool after I let it sit for a month and a half uncovered in the spring with only a foot or so water in it. Once I slowed fishing that spring and got tired of the dirty looks from my wife, I drained the remainder and those type of boatman were shooting all around in the puddles and such. I probably spent about an hour "playing with bugs" ...... more dirty looks.....

Yah same here, every year when taking the cover off, weve got some interesting looking bugs includidng like a giant water bug lookin thing