Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
GR8LAKES FLYER

Messing around with Peacock

Hello everyone !!

I was a little bored , so I started to play around with some Peacock feathers . I have recently acquired a complete full skin including the entire tail of a mature male peacock . Yup , enough herl and swords to last a few life times for sure . Some very interesting rump , back and shoulder feathers too :rolleyes: We'll see what may come next . I'll apologize now for the poor picture quality .

Swap07028.jpg

Mike

good tie. When you tye with peacock do you wrap the herl around your thread before you wrap it around your hook shank?

good tie. When you tye with peacock do you wrap the herl around your thread before you wrap it around your hook shank?

I don't bother with tying thread , I use a very fine copper wire ..... it's finer than tying thread and 10x stronger !! It also add's a little flash . That being said , I always use a wire rib with any herl . On this pattern , I also used red beading silk along with the fine silver wire rib .

Mike

Mike : It looks like a salmon catching fly for sure . Is that a Bartleet Supreme hook you used ? .......Frank

Thank-you all for the kind words .

Frank ,

The hook is a Partridge CS10/2 . As you can tell it's a "fishing" fly , hence the pinched barb . The one pictured is a #6 , but I tied them in sizes #10 and #8 as well . I made up a few variations using gold , copper , blue and purple for the rib and tag .

Mike