Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RJD31

Dry fly hackle recommendations

I am making a trip to Cabelas tomorrow, and looking to purchase some dry fly hackle in a few colors to tie flies in the 14-18 range predominately as well as to a lesser extent 20. My experience with dry fly hackle is rather limited, and would appreciate some advice regarding which brand to purchase without breaking the bank or compromising quality to save a few dollars. Which one would ultimately be the best bang for my buck? Thanks.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...jsp?id=cat20542

Ron

Hi Ron,

Any of the Dry Fly Necks will give you the best dry hackle in the biggest variety of sizes. The saddles will work well for dries also but you will not get the variety sizes I think you want. The different grades of necks within the brands do not really define the quality of the feathers but refer mostly to the variety of sizes and number of feathers you will get on the neck. With that said you just need to decide how much you want to spend on the necks.

Opinion only, but Whiting brands are high quality necks but you will pay for them.

The Metz are good necks and you can order half necks to get a variety of colors if you wish.

Cabela's premium necks are from Whiting

The Cabelas necks I have no experience with.

You can also purchase saddle feathers which are great dry fly necks in what are called 100 packs (which means will tie approx 100 flies) but you are limited to the size stated on the package.

This prolly won’t be much help but here goes.

I’ve never bought hackle from Cabela’s but if their premium stuff is Whiting and not just rejects from Whiting it’s gonna be good to great.

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want and how much you want to spend so check them out closely and see if they’re worth it to you. Take the neck or saddle out of the package, hold it upside down, and run your fingers through it. Take a close look to see how many feathers you are getting in each size. Make sure you are getting exactly what you want and will be happy with your purchase. They shouldn’t frown on you for taking it out of the package. If they do, take your business elsewhere but I’ll bet they’ll try to help you find what you want. My local fly shop expects you to do this. Heck, the last time I bought hackle the guy ringing me up took it out of the bag and examined it himself before he complemented me on my selection. That’s just good service. Oh yeah, make sure you have clean hands gently put everything back where you got it. That’s just being considerate. :D

-D

I use whiting's and has yet to let me down. Def good stuff.
of late i have been using the whiting 100's and love them...no need for hackle pliers and good quality hackle.

shane

What do you think are the top three most useful colors?

No question, if I could only have 3 colors, I would want grizzly, brown, and medium dun -- very useful colors for tying Adams, various Caddis patterns, blue winged olive imitations, etc. and can be used to substitute for other colors in a pinch. For example, a Whiting brown could be used as a substitute for medium ginger.

On the other hand, having said that, I would still hate to be without my coachman brown (ants, Trudes, etc.) and medium ginger (Light Cahill) capes and saddles too.

For the hackle size range you specified, I would want a cape or 1/2 cape (to save money) -- even a decent 1/2 cape will give you a lot of feathers in the 14 -20 range, as well as feathers bigger and smaller.

-- Mike