Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hardyhead

Bahamas gear needs? (Andros, bonefish)

So I have been presented with an odd oppurtunity to go to Andros to go bonefishing on very short notice (3 weeks away as of Sunday). I have an 8 weight Sage VT-2 that I could use, and a couple of different Hardy reels I can pop on that are all aluminum that could be used in salt. My dilemna is the other stuff. We will be wade fishing for a week, with 6 full days of fishing for bonefish on the flats.

What other stuff to bring? I am planning on bringing a small hydration pack so I can carry water/lunch. I am curious about wading boots, pants, long sleeve or short sleeve shirts? Someone recommended flats boots for this, and wearing pants, but what the heck to you wear for pants to stay comfortable in waist deep water for 8 hours a day? I have some Patagonia spf shirts I can bring, but I already have problems with headaches from being in the sun when fishing long days, and I am concerned about my head having enough sun protection. Any suggestions?

Anyone been to Andros before for bonefish? I am not a saltwater guy, so I will be learning on the fly I guess, but the owner of the shop I am going with says he will come with me on the first few days til I get the hang of everything (and really, I just want to get out of the frozen north and fish someplace warm in the middle of January). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ryan

Cover as much of your skin as you possibly can and bring plenty of sunscreen for what you can't cover. The damage that the tropical sun can do to a winter-pale guy from Wisconsin isn't something you'd necessarily want to experience. I'd go with a broad-brimmed hat, long sleeved shirts and ultra-light-weight long pants - otherwise, your legs will get fried even if they're under water. I think mine are nylon, but they're packed away for the winter, so I'm not sure. You didn't mention sunglasses; bring the best ones you can afford. Also, make sure you have a bandana or a light towel that you can keep wet and hang around your neck or drape over your head to stay cool. Hope you have a great time.

Ahh sorry I forgot to mention the glasses, I wear prescription glasses, and I have two pair of the Smith Optics glasses, one in yellow and one in one of the copper tints. I think that should cover it.

I guess long sleeves it is, I will hunt for some quick drying pants that are lightweight. I am hoping this will be a fun trip, by all accounts I have heard, bonefishing can be a lot of fun. I hope the fish are not as finicky as Permit, I have heard some frustrating stories about Permit trips. Supposedly there are other fish to be had in the area, including some Tarpon and Barricuda, but without a boat it's pretty difficult to fish for them, so I am planning on focusing on bonefish for the most part.

Thanks for the tips Peterjay.

Wow, sounds like fun. You need to be prepared for wind. This time of year you often get cold fronts that push through bringing higher winds. I did some self-guided stuff on the east end of Grand Bahama a few years ago while working at one of the oil terminals.

Here's my list:

2 rods between #6 and #9 -- light if winds are down and you get into smaller schoolie-sized fish

SW safe reel + 150 yds backing (extra reel?)

extra flyline (rigged with loop connectors which make for quick tackle changes if needed - like if you get your line chopped by a barracuda)

Wide brimmed hat

buff/bandana for your face

Sunglasses

highest SPF sunscreen

breathable/quick drying long sleeve shirts

long breathable/quick drying pants

closed toe "tropical" wading shoes

Pliers

Loose mono or pre-tied bonefish leaders

bonefish flies -- also consider something like Chico Fernández' MFB - miscellaneous fly box http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/flies/f...z_anywhere.aspx

What everyone has said so far, and for fly lines, make sure you have salt water lines, as regular ones will turn to gum. Make sure to cover your hands with sunscreen; the part right behind your thumbs is extremely vulnerable. They make saltwater gloves; I have not tried them, but might be worth it. Do not touch flies or leaders with sunscreened hands at all cost. A bonefish can smell that a mile a way. If possible a casting rod and reel and some plugs, if the wind really picks up for days on end it can save your sanity. A couple baby wipes in individually sealed packages, I have mostly fished Mexico and the Yucatan, and a long boat ride for a day and Montezuma’s revenge can really ruin a trip. Wash your reels and lines in fresh water nightly. Get some of those flats booties, and the lighter ones for walking on sand, kind of like socks but just coverage for your feet. Several disposable waterproof cameras, sometimes in salt you just don't want to get out the good digital. Since this sounds like a guided trip through a shop, ask them for a needs list too, have some cash to tip guides with, I usually do that on the final day as most times the guides for the week meet for a drink after the last day with the sports. Through a shop they should do at least lunches and beverages, but extra water is never a bad idea. I carry two 8 weight Loomis` and a seven weight sage, and I do not cast to Barracudas, I like my fly lines and backing. I would try to borrow a second rod, something to carry on, and carry on your reels. The bones can be quite large in the Andros area, and spooky, so get prepped to cast fast and fairly long. Listen to the guide, as he will see the bones long before you do, and know the clock method, you know, tails at 2 o' clock 60 feet. And get ready to hear "cast again". Don't poke at crabs with your rod tip, unless you want a shorter tip-less rod. Take some Neosporin, and I hope you do not run into sand fleas, they eat your legs alive, even with long pants.

Mostly try to relax and have fun and the fish will come.

Cheers Futzer.

As one who has gone under the knife for a basal cell carcinoma on my forehead, I agree with the common sentiment to COVER UP. When I fish on Andros I have a broad brimmed hat, A buff up around my face so only my eye are visible, good sunglasses, long sleeve tropical shirt (ex officio or the like), the same fabric for long pants, and sun gloves. REI sells a simple sun glove: you don't need any of the fancy casting gloves. Go to Costco and buy a box of single wipe ethanol based glass cleaners: they work wonders getting the sunglasses clean. If you can't see the fish, you won't catch the fish. Good quality SPF 25 or greater sunscreen on ears, nose, forehead and fingers 'cause they will get a lot of sun. If you buy bots for wading, go for the slip on, zip up the side, flats booties instead of the big Simms/Patagonia flats boots. I have had both and wish I still had my booties.

Files to take: size 2 and 4 Gotcha's and Crazy Charlies will catch damn near every bone on the island. You can go fancier with more patterns, but those are the standby's. Take some size 6 as well, but you will want the big hooks. I tie either blind, with chain eyes or with bar bells and change depending upon how deep the water is and how spooky the fish are.

Have fun. I LOVE Andros. Oh, and try to come up with a second rod: another 8 wt is fine. That way when you stick the first one in the ceiling fan the first night, you'll have a fall back. Plus you can have your second rod rigged for 'cuda with a wire tip leader and a needle nose fish fly, and have some REAL fun. 'cuda on the fly is a great sport and good eating later.

Who are you fishing with? What part of the Island?

Ok, thanks everyone for the details and advice.

We are fishing unguided, guides will be optional, but the owner of the shop I am traveling with is a good friend of mine, and he has done this a few dozen times, and will guide me for the first few days for free. If we want guided days on the water, we can arrange that with the folks we are staying with. The place is called Mt Pleasant, they have 6 miles of beach front on what looks like the south eastern portion of the Andros. Meals are included, with pack lunches and bottled water. I am traveling with Tight Lines Fly Shop out of Green Bay, WI (if any of you ever want a guided smallie trip, go with them, fish in the 4-6lb range are pretty regular). They are great guys, and I know about half of the eight guys on the trip. The eight of us will fill Mt. Pleasant to capacity, 4 cottages, double occupancy. The owner told me there will be some spare rods and reels in case mine let's go... hopefully not, but you never know :)

I have Gotchas, Crazy Charlies, some saltwater Clousers, and some saltwater Puffs in size 2 and 4 with various weights of eyes, I am planning on tying some size 6 as well, apparently there is a lagoon that presents fish in water so skinny that anything else will spook them. I am not going to bring any specific barricuda flies, the owner said I could just nab some from his box if needed. I have most of the gear picked up already, I will swing by REI next week to pick up the last little bits of stuff, we depart on the 18th, so it coming quick :)

I have flats boots and the neoprene sock things from Simms being drop shipped to my house, I usually run the Rio Clouser on my 8 wt, and I picked up the Rio Saltwater 8 for this trip. Hopefully I catch some fish, I understand bonefish can be quite a challenge at times. I am not too worried about the wind, I have fished in some miserable windy conditions from the piers on Lake Michigan when the browns and steelhead are staging, and while it sucks, it's fishable if you are careful. I am not sure what we do if it's not sunny, since we are sight fishing I would imagine cloudy days turn in to long walks in the flats with lots spooked fish and no casts. Maybe we will get some rum for those days :)

I will be sure to post some photos when we get back :)

Take a few #8 crazy charlies in tan, use crinkly tan sythetic for the tail and wing and 2 pieces of tan or gold flash in the tail. very sparse. I have saved a couple nearly fishless days when the bones were super spooky. Spottting fish will be the biggest new challenge. Nervous water is the best description, look for what looks like a light breeze on the surface of the water that moves in slightly different directions. BTW it looks exactly like the real wind. It took me days of salt fishing to start to see it. When you see a few foot wide V shaped tails out the the water 50 feet away, don't forget to breathe.

Can you tell all of us cabin fevered tyers would love to be in Andros too. :)

Cheers Futzer.

T

Cheers Futzer.

Hey Furtzer, maybe I should come up to PC and we could have a beer on a cold, cold January night and dream about Andros....Got any Klik's?

T

Cheers Futzer.

Hey Furtzer, maybe I should come up to PC and we could have a beer on a cold, cold January night and dream about Andros....Got any Klik's?

Hey Jdubya, where do you hang out? I am in the Park City Burbs in Jeremy Ranch, I was sitting in the tying Dungeon watching my mercury huddle at -12° F Monday night, just thinkin of sand between my toes and a frosty Corona. Most my fishing buddies are in Colorado, and Montana, but there are a couple locals that put up with me on occasion. I missed the Provo Freezer burn day on the first this year, nothin like having to put your wading boots under the car exhaust to defrost the ice so you can untie em.

Cheers Futzer.

Man jeff, i was dreamin the same thing just not with a cold corona but luckily we do getta go to myrtle beach any good spots there?

You're going to have to wait for the Myrtle crowd to answer, as I have never gotten to go there, and know almost nothing about it. I have only fished salt for 3 week long trips, all in the Yucatan. Now I have vacationed on on 6 different Caribbean islands, Oh how nice to be there now. I just snow blowed 14 inches of white off my driveway.

Jeff.

T

Cheers Futzer.

Hey Jdubya, where do you hang out? I am in the Park City Burbs in Jeremy Ranch, I was sitting in the tying Dungeon watching my mercury huddle at -12° F Monday night, just thinkin of sand between my toes and a frosty Corona. Most my fishing buddies are in Colorado, and Montana, but there are a couple locals that put up with me on occasion. I missed the Provo Freezer burn day on the first this year, nothin like having to put your wading boots under the car exhaust to defrost the ice so you can untie em.

Cheers Futzer.

I'm in a burb of SLC not far from you. The snow zone this time of year. We should hit the water sometime once it warms up. I am not a fan of de-icing guides.