Fly Tying
navigator37

The color red...?

Someone beat me to it but the reason that the red line is "invisible" is because it is translucent and refracts the light rather than not allowing it through like a hook. Theres actually a video on the Cajun Line website that has their line next to a clear mono line and the worm looks like it is swimmin on its own. Its pretty cool.

Good Day,

I will try to keep this concise...

I have done lots of research into light and water as well as fish vision. The first color, as previously stated, to disappear in the water column is red. Depending on water clarity it can "disappear" in as little as 4' of water. Red will either become "invisible" (depending on water clarity) or turn brown or black depending on depth. Deeper = darker. In fact, many deep water fish in the oceans are colored red, it is believed, as a form of camouflage. Blue is that last color in the visible spectrum to be "absorbed" by water. Hence why many trollers on Lake Michigan swear by blue spoons and doggers.

With this said however, ultra violet light on the other hand penetrates much, much deeper into the water column than does visible light. In fact, fish not only see in the visible spectrum like you and I but also see in the ultraviolet spectrum as well. Both prey species and predator species have this ability to see in the ultraviolet spectrum. There was a recent study to prove this. A group of scientists placed a school of saltwater 'prey" fish in an aquarium. They filtered out UV light. The school of fish scattered and the fish appeared to be disoriented. Then they allowed the UV light back and the fish immediately schooled right back up as they were visually responding to the UV reflection of their fellow schoolmates. So too do predators zero in on prey not only "audibly" (lateral line) but use their ability to see in the ultraviolet to seal the deal.

Take for example the venerated Royal Coachman. Although red silk is tied in on the abdomen of the fly, in fact when wet the fly appears to take on a brownish color from the fish's perspective. Which is probably one of the reasons it works as well as it does. So, with regard to red midge larvae... more than likely they are appearing to be black in color at depth which depending on water clarity and surrounding vegetation makes them that much more vulnerable and or visible to a trout. Also, and I do not know for sure, they may also have an underlying level of UV reflection or color to their body which would further enhance a trout's ability to see them and eat them.

Steelie