Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Helping out Verterans

Hey everyone, I'm sure you guys probably remember last year where RBF helped out Reel Recovery by some of us building a rod to donate to Reel Recovery. If I remember correctly Bill Worden was able to present Reel Recovery with a total of 14 fly rods, over 2000 flies from FTF as well as a few other things. Well I am going to be heading up something similar to help out the people that have donated their lives to make sure we all can enjoy the freedoms we have here in this great country, the Veterans.

I currently am working with a gentleman named Dan Cook whom is the founder and Executive Director of a wonderful program called Rivers Of Recovery. This program was started up to help disabled Veterans find a way to rebuild their lives through the enjoyment of fly fishing and the outdoors. They host retreats and meeting for disabled Veterans and help them reconnect with what's important in their lives by teaching them something such as fly fishing and provide them with a means of enjoyment and friendship.

This really is a great program. Please read about it here http://www.riversofrecovery.org/index.php

I have started a rod drive on RBF and would also like to do a fly donation here from FTF. So if you would like to help out by donating flies as a way to say thanks to the Veterans that have served this great country then that would be much appreciated.

The flies they need for this program are as follows, this is what Dan said they use the most on the Green river where they hold these retreats-

Regarding flies……the Green is famous for the dry fly fishing, especially during the hotter months when the big terrestrials appear—cicadas, hoppers, crickets, Chernobyl ants, etc. On the cooler months, stims, CDC’s, caddis, Sailor ants, Griffiths, Adams, Coachman, etc.

So if you can or would like to help out by donating some flies for this great cause then send me a PM and I will give you my address to send them too. Whether its 10 flies or 100 flies that you can donate I'm sure anything will help.

Thanks

Steve i would say count me in....... I hope they dont mind my tying...... although people say that i tie a mean elk hair caddis..

pm me with more info please..... i need to talk to my mom and see if i can do this..

Sounds like a great program. I am interested in donating some flies. When do you need them by? I want to make certain I have time to tie them.

I spent countless days on the Green, during every month of the year, and I know the patterns well. I sent you a few dozen (I think it was 12 dz.) flies last year, and you will have a gross from me this year. I'll do everything from griffiths to cicadias. and stimulators. I'll be sure to include some Royal Wulffs, they were my mothers favoite fly on the Green.

I'd better get tying.

I am a vet, and a very fortunate one at that.

I spoke to Dan last night, but he made no mention of this, but put me down for some stimulators, I like tying that fly.

I should be able to do two dozen by April.

Brian

great to see that all these people are doing it..

sweet great to see that you are also doing it brian...... i think i am going to tie some woolly buggers and some caddis and some nymphs

thanks guys. Also in only 6 hrs we already have 9 custom fly rods that are being donated by the guys on RBF. Between FTF/TFF/RBF its really amazing how much help for great programs all three of our sites have done over the past 5 yrs :headbang:

Count me in for

4 dozen Chernobyl ants

4 dozen spiders

4 dozen Elk Hair Caddis'.

Steeldrifter or utyer, ideas on sizes? I assume 12, 14, 16s.