Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

coputer problems again!

ok it seems like my coputer always has to have somehting wrong with it.

everytime i try to start my computer i get to that blue screen from windows ya know the disc check thingy...well everytime that gets done checking my computer just restarts! i cant even get to my home screen! i googled it and it something to do with doing a system restore and then a windows update. but on google i get all these technical ways to fix it and i dont under stand!

im not really a computer guy so i dont understand all of that fancy lingo...

please help. i cant even access my computer.

thanks,

sniksoh

System restore is when you use a disc that came with your computer, to reset your computer to its original settings. You'll need to use that, I'm don't know very much about what to do after you put the disc in, you should be able to find info about that on the Microsoft website, or Apple, or what ever you've got, or it may be very easy and you just put the disc in and let the computer do most of the work. You could have gotten a virus, and that could be causing the problem. I'll leave this to someone who knows more than I do. Like I said, I'm not a genius at this stuff. The disc you need should be called reboot disc or restore disc, something like that.

You may lose some stuff off of your hard drive, you could bring your computer somewhere to get the information taken off of the hard rive if there is anything you want to keep, if there is nothing you want to keep then you can go ahead and do the restore. Make sure you read this twice, and understand it fully, so you don't lose anything you may need. Be 100% sure that you don't need any thing off of your hard disk. Again I'm not an expert.

Edit: My brother said it is most likely a virus, and you will need to do a system restore, he works on computers so he knows a good bit.

don't instantly assume it's a virus. If it's continually going into a disk check, the hard disk might be going bad. It happens. There isn't enough information in your post to know for sure. If it's more than 3 or 4 years old, and it's been in use daily, there is a chance the hard disk or something else might be crapping out. I've had hard drives go bad before. It sucks, and it happens. If you can get into the system at all, try to make copies of any important files on CDs, DVDs, or USB drives now, before they're gone. How old is it? What operating system is it running? Has it ever been maintained? When the disk check runs, is it finding bad sectors? Is it able to repair the bad sectors?

Run your anti-virus software, and download a trial of an anti-spyware program like SpyEmergency. No single antivirus program will catch everything, so you should run a few. Yes, it sucks. I'd love to get my hands around the disgusting throat of one of the little bastards who write malware.

It might be a virus, it might not, and it might just be your machine breaking down. Honestly, right now, if you get 4 years of useful life from a computer, you're ahead of the curve. A large part of my paycheck comes from building these dam' things and making them do what people want. Don't automatically assume it's a virus, and be careful because there are a lot of idiots out there who want to take your money to "fix" a goofed up machine. Got to weigh your options. If it's old, just salvage important files and get a new one. Better yet, find someone who knows what they are doing to build you one. We're back in the days of being able to build a good one for less $$$ than buying one. It's also usually less costly in a real-world way to get a new system rather than fix an old one.

computerhope.net has a great forum for all kinds of computer issues. Just read their posting rules on how to post problems and be ready to answer questions.

Joe

it wont open windows in any mode at all ive tried all the options on start up.

i dont have a restore disc...can i get one from somewhere?

i get a ***stop: 0x0000000A message?

sniksoh

it wont open windows in any mode at all ive tried all the options on start up.

i dont have a restore disc...can i get one from somewhere?

i get a ***stop: 0x0000000A message?

sniksoh

do you have the Windows xp disk...I'm assuming that you have xp. MS recomends doing a windows repair if this particular article is applicable.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/314063

I would take ashbourn's suggestion and start trolling and posting on a computer forum. They will also ask a lot more specific questions. Like...what happened before your issue? Did you install new software/hardware?

If you need system restore disks you could google system restore and computer model?

If you have an XP disk that came with your computer that would be a good place to start and boot from that.

I'm no expert...just throwing out idea's that i'd try if it were me.

hth.

sounds as if you might be hosed. Could be a boot sector virus, or it could be a hard drive that went to crap, or it could be a bunch of other things. If you're not a "computer guy" you will need to decide if you want to pay someone a bunch of money to mess around with it, for God knows how long and how much it will cost, or if you just want to get a new machine.

Chances are you still get the fatal error on boot because your BIOS is set to boot from the hard disk first. Most often during the first part of booting up, you can hit "delete" or "F1" to take you into the BIOS. Usually there will be a selection called something like "advanced setup" in which you can tell the machine what to boot from. If you feel like it, try to change that to your CD/DVD drive and attempt booting from the XP disc again. If it will let you start to reload windows, then probably your motherboard, processor, and memory are working OK. If you can reload windows and know what to do, it is a several hour long process to get your updates loaded, then load all the drivers you need as long as you have the driver discs for all your components. It's not really hard, but it helps if you have someone around who has done it a few times. Each build is different.

Computers are just manmade piles of plastic, metal, and rocks. They are GOING to fail. Nothing we can do about it except be ready.

Even if you end up needing to replace your motherboard, processor, memory, and hard drive, you should be able to something really decent for $200 or so.

One thing I have found to be an issue with that particular error is a dead CMOS battery. There is a small battery on most boards that powers the CMOS chip, it has a finite life and gets no power from the system. The easiest way to test it is to let the machine set unplugged for a few days and then boot into the BIOS and check to see if the Date and time is still correct. If it is not and you know that it was set then the battery is dead and can normally be replaced and then the BIOS settings reset and you should be going again.

One thing I have found to be an issue with that particular error is a dead CMOS battery. There is a small battery on most boards that powers the CMOS chip, it has a finite life and gets no power from the system. The easiest way to test it is to let the machine set unplugged for a few days and then boot into the BIOS and check to see if the Date and time is still correct. If it is not and you know that it was set then the battery is dead and can normally be replaced and then the BIOS settings reset and you should be going again.

That's worth a try!!

Hey, what else is contained in the "STOP 0x00000000" yada yada message? Usually those stop errors go on a little bit with a device name or a driver name. I was reading today that the stop error ending in zero commonly indicates a hardware problem- i.e. your HDD crapping out. Sometimes when memory or a HDD is dying-dying-dead, the stop error will be slightly different each time. Try starting it up and pressing "F8"- that might let you get to a diagnostic start option menu. From there you can see exactly what it is trying to do, step by step and get an idea where it is choking.