Fly Tying
Salmo22

Scissors

I like to tie with scissors in-hand. For most of my trout fly tying needs, I use the Dr. Slick 4" Tungsten Carbide. The finger loops are large, the blades are very sharp and it has a fine points for getting into tight areas on small flies. Fact is I like the entire line of Dr. Slick Tungsten Carbide scissors. For working with deer and elk hair, I have become addicted to the Soligen Hair scissors. As Chris Helm says, these are the "Rolls Royce" of hair scissors. For wire and tinsel I use finger nail clippers. BTW, I believe Chris Helm has the best seleciton of scissors available to fly tiers anywhere on the planet.

What do you use and why?

Wiss thread clips, the blades are replaceable when they dull, I cut everything with them incl wire, just cut it to the rear of the blade so the tips stay as sharp as possible. I glue a small piece of foam in the finger ring so they fit my finger tightly.

Cheers, Futzer.

Good Day,

I am with you on Dr. Slick. Best scissors out there. I particularly like the serrated edge that helps you to cleanly cut material vs. it being pushed down the edges. Wire, I don't cut wire - just a few twists and there you go.

Steelie

Guest Big E

Wiss Quick Clips. They sit nicely in hand, have nice points, and the hole fits my finger. Probably the most favorite thing about them is that they are spring loaded and only require one finger in the hole vice having two fingers restricted (well at least for me anyways as I could never find scissors with big enough loops for my meat hooks).

Dr. Slick 4" All-Purpose scissors for cutting hair and the 3 1/2" Arrow Point Tungsten Carbide for holding/tying at the same time. I love the tiny points on the Arrow, and the small notch for cutting wire, floss or other items is a godsend. You just don't need another pair of scissors...they do it all!

I use Anvil Ice scissors. They are great for holding in hand, they have nice fine tips, they are sharp and I was told they are self sharpening. They are the first good pair of scissors I got and they are great. I haven't anything else but they do what I want them to do and they do it very well. No complaints at all. For wire I just use an old pair of standard Fiskers scissors, they are large enough that they don't need to be sharp to cut the wire.

I also use the Dr. Slick Tungsten Carbide scissors and like them alot. For years I used inexpensive scissors costing well under $10. I think they were Sunrise maybe. To tell you the truth, they were pretty decent in spite of the low cost.

I have a pair of Dr. Slicks, but I'm not that impressed with them, they have pretty good tips, but the rest is not as good. I have a bunch of scissors that I have picked up from misc. places, like Shipshewana, I've gotten five pairs there, two by the brand of ICE (Each for around $5), which I use for sythetics, Great!, and another pair that is, in my opinion better than my Dr. Slicks, the tips are not as fine, butthey cut effortlessly, they were like $4.

I was just thinking the other day about a thread like this....

My slicks were ok...to me they seem heavy after a while

My anvils were the cats meow...but it's getting time to retire them to "Mule Scissor" status

I've been wanting to try the Wiss...

I'll throw another one out there (sorry for highjacking the thread)...curved tip or straight?

I'm curved!!!

First off.... I like the straights unless I'm trimming deer hair.

I like the Dr. slicks for the their fine tips, but I have a pair of fine italian/german ones that I bought from enrico puglasio (sp? but you know who I mean) that I like for most everything... though they cost me about 60 clams.

I have 2 pair. 1 of them is a cheap pair from cabelas the other is the Dr Slick micro. I have been thinking of getting a pair of serreted for hair.

I use serrated Dr Slick All Purpose for hair, mylar tinsel, etc. Serrated Arrow tips for thread, hackle stems and like materials and serrated micro tips when I need to trim a hackle fiber or stray thread. If I have a barbule that is super close to the body that I need to trim, I haven't found anything better than a fresh pair of iridectomy scissors from John Mclain... unfortunately mine are now dull and they are a straight blade so they don't "bite" like I need them to. A lot of times they just push the fiber out of the way now... that's why I like the serrated ones.

I use the Anvil Quick Snips for about 90% of my tying. I use the Ultimate 4 for about 8% of my tying and then cheap scissors for wire and general Fiskars for course hair. I like the Quick snips, which are similar to the Wiss Quick clips, because they tuck away in my hand very well. They do not have replaceable blades like the Wiss scissors but I have had a pair for going on 8 years and have not had to sharpen them.

I would like to try some Dr. Slick's. Generally, I have heard good things about them.

Good Day,

Really Dustin... really? (Of course I kid my talented young friend... :headbang: ) See you at Dennis Potter's house on the 24th?

Steelie

Dr Slick

I find that I can get closer to fly when I cut the excess, as well I have noticed that they stay sharp longer. I ook my last pair of Dr Slick's to a buddy that sharpens scissors and he said that they were some of the nicest scissors he had seen. He old he that the metal was excellent and spoke very highly about them, so I bought a few more pairs, I now have 5 different pairs.

Rick