Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

Zonker Variation

I like it. I like it.

While I have never fished for Salmon or Steelhead (hope to one day), and so have no real expertise on the subject.

I have got to say, that this is one elegant looking fly. Nice and sleek. Very nice.

Justin

Nice looking fly Old Hat,

Kind of reminds me of a series of zonkers that Marcelo Morales did a few years back, also featuring the Coq de Leon collar. Your addition of the Chukar on either side of the throat should really vibrate the fly in current - nice idea, and very well executed.

I also applaud your choice of vise.

Steve

Thanks all for the comments.

Steve - Yes, Morales' Golden Speckled Zonker was the inspiration for this variation. I ran across his series of zonkers recently. I have been tying a slumpbuster variation with the feather throats for a while and have been experimenting on flymph style steelhead patterns with the coq-de Leon also for a while. So this pattern jumped out at me when I saw Marcelo's patterns.

...and Regal never gets the credit it deserves.

Old Hat,

I see Marcelo each year at the Fly Fishing Retailer's Show in Denver, and I'm sure that he would love to see this variation of his zonker series, especially so well executed.

I've booked a week up on the Gaspe' this year and I think that I will copy your pattern & bring several along. If they get another season of high water, this pattern could be a real winner.

As for Regal, if you would care to pm me with an address, I would be happy to send you the latest catalog.

Steve

Thanks, glad you like it gentlemen. That pattern accounted for a couple steel this past fall.

Thanks, glad you like it gentlemen. That pattern accounted for a couple steel this past fall.

DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE PATTEN BUT VERY VERY PROFESSIONAL LOOKING WORK.