Fly Tying
ortho004

Boat Opinions

Boat choice  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i have a little seaeagle, (inflatible raft) its big enough for two peeps, but its just me for the most part i can stand an cast an put a aluminin fonlding chair in it an be comfortable and trans port real easy ,,they say i can put a trolling motor on it but no real need as of yet. its a great pond hopper .

Still have mine for sale, it has been sitting in my parents basement for two years now only been fished once; they want me to transfer it to my basement. I believe mine is a columbia, and Classic has changed the name to colorado. Here is a link to it, http://www.towbehindtubes.com/Classic-Acce...X-CLS1078.html; It is the exact same boat. It works fine just don't have a need for it because I fish my belly boat or my kayak, and now I'm getting a modified v boat, or wade.

Only thing missing is an anchor rope, there actually happens to be spare foot bars because one was cosmetically damaged and they sent another. If someone is seriously interested, I would be more than happy to inflate test for leaks, and photograph. The boat is retailing for 660 on the site above with a 100 dollar discount.

250 takes the boat, possibility of a trade for a dyna-king vise. I will not ship this thing. It is big and weighs 71 pounds. I don't want someone unhappy with it and get into all kinds of shit over shipping. I just want you to be happy that you got the right boat for you.

Here are the features.

Availabe in Sage / Black or Pumpkin / Black heavy - duty nylon

Brass oar locks

Heavy - duty pontoons with abrasion - resistant PVC pontoon bottoms and tough nylon tops

Powder - coated steel tube frame

7' two - piece aluminum oars

Cold and heat - resistant bladders

Huge storage capacity; includes 20 pockets and two insulated drink holders

Weatherproof motor mount

Wire rear storage and battery platform

Rod holder can be mounted in six different positions

Integrated anchor system with fillable mesh bag, cord and pulley

Detachable foam fly patch

Three oar - lock positions and built - in oar rests

Seat mount and footrests adjust to any leg length

Padded plastic seat

Rides high for improved visibility

Unique dual - side stripping apron with fish ruler allows entry and exit without unclipping

Combination quick fill / deflation valves

Dual compartment pontoon safety bladders

Tow rings

Non - slip footrests

Two year warranty

pros of a kayak-you can get into water where boats cannot. I don't like sitting low when I cast. the wind thing on pontoons is true.

consider this:

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/produc...ault.aspx?id=14

or this

http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/produc...t.aspx?series=3

the reason I suggest outcast is they have a very good warranty, excelllent product. they are owned by aerie boats. stay away from water skeeter-problems. nothing is perfect though and you have to get what is right for you.

marc

I've had a Trout Unlimited Madison Edition for several years now and I love it. It doesn't have a motor mount but that's the only drawback. It only weighs about 35lbs. When you deflate it and break down the frame it will fit in the trunk of a Toyota Carolla. I bought it used about 8 years ago but I think it was under $400 new.

I have many boats float tubes and kayaks For fishing salwater and such!

My fav is my sit ontop Kayak for fly fishing was real cheap too found it in the paper used for $125.00. Its more stable then my other kayak as its wider !

The down side it does not track as good and its a little heavier! My kids have named it the bluegill express.

Make sure what ever you buy to be able to secure everything to the hull or your body! Tip overs do happen no matter who you are and nobody likes to lose equipment!

Welcome to the forum!

Blessings,

Jeremy

A jon boat is really ideal, but that's obviously out. I personally wouldn't mess with an inflatable boat. If you're fishing lakes(not ponds), then you will inevitably want to cover some water, and will need to if you want to catch fish regularly. A kayak will get you around the fastest without a motor. I vote canoe though. It's big, but that means more stability and more area to store gear, have room for your fly line, beer, etc. If you have good balance then you should also be able to stand up in most canoes which I think is a huge benefit for fly fishing and especially sight casting. Lots of cheap canoes out there....or you could build one for about 50 bucks. Bateau.com has a free plan for the 'cheap canoe'.

This has been a great thread to read. I have been wondering what kind of boat to get for the lakes here in Nebraska as well. Thanks for all the great opinions!

what I do like about outcast is they stand behind their product. I know guys in british columbia who run class 3-4 rivers in their pontoons and no issues. the one thin g I would say about the tube and pontoon makers do not talk about a whole lot is the effect of deet coming into contact with the material. it eats thru it. I know of somebody here in the Ottawa area last summer who had a bottle leak in his pant pocket and it caused a catastrophic failure of his fishcat bladder. fortunately, one side did not completely deflate and he was able to get to shore. the dealer told me outcast was great abot the replacement tube, but was kinda not wanting to tell him why it is not listed as something to keep well away!

I have seen mixed reviews of the classic boats, nothing really bad though, I just think not as much workmanship goes into it and not as good as outcasrs warranties. dave scadden makes a very good pontoon boat too.

marc

Alright here is my vote. Based on your needs a 13' Gheenoe would do. Car toppable,about 120 lbs. Unmatched stability. Can be paddled or goes like snot with a 9.9 on the back. Floats super skinny. I have the 15 foot version and love it. Used they are not too expensive either.

Check out www.gheenoe.net

www.customgheenoe.com

I use my pontoon for the type of fishing you are talking about. I troll and cast from it.here is my setup

post-624-1295400449_thumb.jpg

post-624-1295400237_thumb.jpg

Andrew,

Buy a kayak. Ocean Kayak is a good brand, and they have some at great prices. Check Academy if there is one nearby. And of course, you can go up from there pricewise if you ever want to. Hobie has peddle, paddle, and sail kayaks. Native Watercraft has one, the Ultimate 12 Tegris, that weighs 29 pounds without the seat and 36# with the seat. You can buy cheap, expensive, heavy, light, paddle, sail, or peddle kayaks; it just depends on what you want at the time.

There is one thing that is for sure; you will never regret buying a kayak!! They'll put peace in your mind, a song in your heart, fish on your line, and leave money in your pocket.

Ray

It's a tricky mix of parameters you have set. I think transportation and storage basically rules out a canoe, and possibly a larger kayak like I fish from. That is my personal preference because on the waters I fish, I need to be able to cover some water. Paddlng a pontoon or float tube across even small lakes would consume way too much time and energy. I have a small truck and have no issues transporting my 13' kayak. With your size, transportation, and cost parameters, you may have to look at a float tube or pontoon....which I have no experience with!

from your criteria a jon boat would be a push but I wanted to offer the values of one for fly fishing. My little 12 is rigged and great for fly fishing, it slides into a tundra but it could be done on top of a car. The thing I like about it and the reason I chose over kayak poon or canoe was 100% standing fly fishing. My jon weighs around 50 lbs. The battery weighs as much as the boat..

AR-P5233617-lr.jpg

I know a guide in Virginia who rents kayaks that can swing out for very stable standing. They come with a leaning post too.

Such as Cabelas Freedom Hawk design. Another good option.

Buy a kayak used from the local kayak board. I own a Dagger Blackwater 11.5, a Santa Cruz 12.5 and a 17ft Heron.

I bought the Dagger new the others used. The Blackwater is the best for fishing but the Heron paddles the best so it does most ocean coastal fishing.

Get soft rubber paddle holders. I broke two sets of the stiff ones. I installed removable rod holders so when I'm not fishing no obstruction on deck.

Two weeks after I got the kayak the canoe was in the yard sale.

My next kayak will be an open top.

Buy the best boat you can afford if you are going to use it a lot. Those 299 boats are great if you only fish a couple of times. They don't paddle efficiently or track well. Take your Otter 299 and come with me to Bull Island 4 miles to redfish in my 400 used heron and see who is too tired to fish. Also buy a great paddle. The difference between a 2 pound and three pound paddle is a lot after 500 strokes. I almost bought and otter until i went to a stores try a kayak day. I bought the cheap aluminum paddle a thought it was a 20 pound weight by the end on the day.