Fly Tying
JoeO

Peacock Herl hand wrap or hackle pliers

Peacock hear Hand or Pier  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just wondering? do you all twist the peacock herl before wrapping it on to your fly?

I almost always twist it, usually around a strand of thread for support. If not, I usually run the thread up and back through the wrapped herl in widely spaced loops.

Joe O, we should talk, pm me your phone # so I can call and chat, cheers, Futzer.

For crying out loud, hands!!! Hands all the way. You should never wrap multiple fibers/feathers using a hackle plier, it just f*cks up.

I twist it around my working thread, then wrap it with my rotary vise or add a twist for every wrap if using a non-rotary vise.

when tying a pattern that calls for the hurl i leave a long end of thread when i first tie on so that after i wrap the hurl i can run that back over the hurl. i have never twisted peacock and never used the loop. i tried the pliers when i first got them but its a pain in the ass to have to go back and tie in a new strand just to have it brake under the pliers.. hands all the way

Twist the herl around the thread and hand wrap. Never lets me down; Wish I could say the same for my casting!! :hyst:

It's all in the technique and making sure the hackle pliers have no sharp edges. For tight thick peacock herl streamer bodies, like Edson Tiger light, I have found no way to make a really good one without pliers. Five or six herls reinforced with a strand of thread, then twisted into a chenille-like strand makes a beautiful body. It has to be wound just tight enough, and then wound on the shank just tight enough. Too tight or too loose, and it goes to crap. For one or two strands of herl for a midge body or whatever, of course that is not necessary.

Hand-wrap. Although I have incorporated many of the methods already mentioned here. Started wrapping it around the tying thread, but then started to advance the thread only halfway, wrap the herl, tie it in, and advance the thread the rest of the way, and continue with the herl. Lately (since buying a dubbing loop tool), I have started using a dubbing loop.

However, I still like the look of untwisted herl the best....

I find that when using peacock herl that hand wrapping save lot of aggrivation especially when using multiple strands.

I have several types of pliers and with all of them I have broken the herl and end up just using my hand