Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
westtexas

Help Me ID this fly

Hey all,

From Texas, do lots of hill country fly fishing. Coming up on our annual March float on the Nueces and South Llano. Killed em last year on clousers,

Autumn Splendor, Llano bug, and poppers.

Someone I know gave me this fly and said he had a hill country guide tie this. They said they did well with it and I was going to tie some up. I can probably get it right but I was wondering if you had seen it and could give me your guesses on materials.

It looks like a black mohair body or maybe fox fur with a rib of green rubber legs that are left long in front as some sort of bug legs.

thanks

flies004.jpg

flies003.jpg

Looks like a "Darter" variation to me -

The Darter is another Bob Clouser pattern. It is deadly for bronzebacks around here, especially in black and purple. Usually it has a little flash-a-bou accent/tail. Look at the two patterns in the bottom right-hand corner of the attached image.

post-16103-1232855214_thumb.jpg

Hey all,

From Texas, do lots of hill country fly fishing. Coming up on our annual March float on the Nueces and South Llano. Killed em last year on clousers,

Autumn Splendor, Llano bug, and poppers.

Someone I know gave me this fly and said he had a hill country guide tie this. They said they did well with it and I was going to tie some up. I can probably get it right but I was wondering if you had seen it and could give me your guesses on materials.

It looks like a black mohair body or maybe fox fur with a rib of green rubber legs that are left long in front as some sort of bug legs.

thanks

flies004.jpg

flies003.jpg

could be a Black Buster - Bill Black originator

It could easily be reporduced wth rabbit strips, rubber legs and a wool head, did you want someone to work up a recipe?

Cheers, Futzer.

Can't help with the pattern but looks like a winner for sure. I would be partial to arctic fox with a little ice dub mixed in the thorax.... if I were tying it.