Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SILKHDH

PHEASANTS FOREVER 1

Hi Doug and welcome.

You have submitted some beautiful full dress salmon flies.

This one is my favorite of all your submissions. Very creative with the pheasant.

Have you visited the sister site to this Fly Tying Forum. It is a site dedicated to classic and artistic fly tying and I know they would love to see your submissions as well.

Here is the link: Classic Fly Tying

Nice looking fly, what feathers are you using?

if you have a pheasant pelt it will help you to figure it out with my descriptions. the wing is the flank, sides, breast and upper back. the cheeks are head and the feather with the white trim is the "ring neck" feather. i had to use that some place. the throat feathera are from rump and lower back, if i'm picturing a pelt correctly. i am not at home now so i'm going from my memory. hope this helps.

Hi Doug and welcome.

You have submitted some beautiful full dress salmon flies.

This one is my favorite of all your submissions. Very creative with the pheasant.

Have you visited the sister site to this Fly Tying Forum. It is a site dedicated to classic and artistic fly tying and I know they would love to see your submissions as well.

Here is the link: Classic Fly Tying

thanks for the compliments. they are appreciated. i will check out the site , thank you. buy the way , this fly was donated to pheasants forever and auctioned for 100 dollars. i was very happy.

Hi Doug,

Watch your proportions. The wing and throat are too big for the hook size. Crowd the eye too. You don't want those long heads on this kind of fly. Keep at it. You're headed in the right direction. Join us on the classics forum.

Hi Doug,

Watch your proportions. The wing and throat are too big for the hook size. Crowd the eye too. You don't want those long heads on this kind of fly. Keep at it. You're headed in the right direction. Join us on the classics forum.

WOW! WHAT A PRIVALAGE TO BE CRITIQUED BY RON LUCAS. COOL! I HAVE TALKED ON THE PHONE WITH YOU BEFORE. I WAS RESEARCHING THE ORIGIN OF THE FULL DRESS SALMON FLY. SO RON, WHAT IS THE KEY TO MAKING SMALL HEADS WHEN YOU ARE FASTENING SO MANY ITEM TO THE HOOK. IS MY BIGGEST PROBLEM. I HAVE A CAUTERIZING TOOL. DO I USE IT TO SHAPE HEAD BEFORE I APPLY LAUQER TO TO THE HEAD?

HELP ME TO BECOME BETTER, DOUG STOUT

Hi Doug,

WOW! WHAT A PRIVALAGE TO BE CRITIQUED BY RON LUCAS. COOL! I HAVE TALKED ON THE PHONE WITH YOU BEFORE. I WAS RESEARCHING THE ORIGIN OF THE FULL DRESS SALMON FLY. SO RON, WHAT IS THE KEY TO MAKING SMALL HEADS WHEN YOU ARE FASTENING SO MANY ITEM TO THE HOOK. IS MY BIGGEST PROBLEM. I HAVE A CAUTERIZING TOOL. DO I USE IT TO SHAPE HEAD BEFORE I APPLY LAUQER TO TO THE HEAD?

HELP ME TO BECOME BETTER, DOUG STOUT

You want to run out of materials rught up to the head. And have no bulk there either. Use small thread (I use Uni 8/0) and few turns. Two seperated turns and one back over should be enough to tie in each material. Make every turn count.