Fly Tying
nu2trout

Snook Flies?

DT's on #4 & #2, schminnows on #2 & #1, Clouser minnows & EP's on #6 thru # 3/0 , mirrorlure #1/0 thru 4/0. Most of my snook flies tied are on #4,2,1,& 1/0's :yahoo:

Lets see some of those ties Dave! :yahoo: Just kidding around, hope all is well with you and I hope to get down there soon.

Hey nu2trout,

I suggest a simple fly for starters:

hook: mustad 34007 #2 or whatever hook but I like size 2

thread: White 6/0

Body: Buck Tail -tied behind the eye

Accent Material: Sparse Rainbow krystal flash

Over Wing: Peacock Herl

Throat: Red Krystal Flash

This is a good start, get creative and take it from there but that simple fly catches fish ie. snook.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Howdy Matt, enjoying life on the plains in search of the palm sized trout in the foothills streams ? By the way, I tied up a few of your recommended flies but wasn't sure if you just tie it like a deceiver, but start with the bucktail collar ? Anyway, the color scheme seems to look like a stunned or wounded baitfish with the red feather gills, rainbow KF & some stick on eyes ! :yahoo:

Howdy Matt, enjoying life on the plains in search of the palm sized trout in the foothills streams ? By the way, I tied up a few of your recommended flies but wasn't sure if you just tie it like a deceiver, but start with the bucktail collar ? Anyway, the color scheme seems to look like a stunned or wounded baitfish with the red feather gills, rainbow KF & some stick on eyes ! :yahoo:

Yep that will do it...

All materials tied in behind the hook eye.

P.S Not all trout are Palm sized :rolleyes: ha ha

For topwater snookin', this fly is designed by a member of the fly fishing club & it catches more than just snook ! :http://www.lippedpopper.com/ Probably the best book(s) of fly pattern recipes for southwest Florida : http://www.fishermanscoast.com/books/books2a.html

I tied these a bit heavy, but you can kill the lead eyes, flip the entire pattern on the hook, keep the wire wrap...red head on white is also tasty...

post-15973-1235688703_thumb.jpg

post-15973-1235688768_thumb.jpg

that last picture looks like it has some clousers, schminnows, glass minnows, deceivers, EP minnows, Sea Ducers, DT specials, and maybe some epoxy head stuff.

I tied up a couple of shrimp yesterday. Do snook eat shrimp?

Hopefully a red or something will suck it in if no snook do. I will get a picture of the Snook stuff I have been tying when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the help guys, and keep'em coming

You're getting to know your salt ! There's 4 schminnow type flys: top left is a marabou & estaz night dock fly with the red bead chain, Norms' schminnow is (tr). A variation is the John fly with lead eyes & flashabou tail for deeper flats & Capt Tonys' estaz & feather tail for night dock fishing with red bead chain. Then a Flash Blend minnow & an EP white bait, 2 clousers, a seaducer & a DT, a deciever & Capt Matts' minnow, a String Bean & a bendback. There's no epoxy, but some Soft-tex was applied to the heads to fill in the eye to thread gaps & covered with clear Hard as Nails. Snook, like just about everything else that swims in salt eat shrimp & some patterns are productive ( new EP ).

DSC01101.jpg

do you think this will get some attention?

I was playing around with some materials this weekend and came up with it.

Looks like a grass shrimp pattern, only with marabou instead of nylon hair which acts as a weedguard. Ought to get some attention, as a sand flea-grass shrimp-whitebait or change the colors to tan / brown that make it a crab-shrimp combination pattern that works in tannin stained waters .

thanks,

it is rabbit fur instead of maribou.

I did not have any other colors, but will get some

thanks

Here's a real good interview from Chico Fernandez on snook.

http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers/chico/chico.cfm

I got into some in St.Croix last year on the beach by the Divi hotel. They like Chartruse and white w/gold and polar blue flash(like the sardines). Variations of both. I did best on a 3-6" clouser and a weighted streamer.

thanks,

it is rabbit fur instead of maribou.

I did not have any other colors, but will get some

thanks

The snowbirds around the corner that are on an almost daily fish-a-thon like to fish the deeper flats channels with a similar fly : rabbit tied in as the tail with some flash, estaz for the body figure 8 wrapped over the lead eyes just behind the hook eye. Lots of spotted weakfish, ladyfish, jack crevalles, pompano, snook, etc hit the fly. Do crab or shrimp colors for the waters you'll be on.

Thanks, I am about to read the article. I will also check out the color of the water while there to help with selection of flies. I am very excited to get away and hit some salt. I just hope the weather in Tampa cooperates while I am there