Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Can a vest have TOO MANY pockets?

I carry alot of shit.gif when i fish so i have always chosen a vest that had tons of pockets to store everything but i dont know if it's just that i'm gettin older and forgeting where i put stuff in the vest or what but i constantly lose stuff in the vest.

Can a vest have too many pockest? dunno.gif i believe mine has about 32 pockets and i'm startin to think thats about 30 to many dry.gif

How many does yours have and do you ever lose stuff simply because there are too many places to stick something?

SD

hell yes it can have too many. takes me 1/2 hour to find something in my vest sometimes. For some reason i just plain ole forget what pocket I keep some things and its a cluser you know what moving stuff around checking every pocket to find out its in my front pocket of the waders.... LOL.

steve

Ya. I also think a vest has to many pockets at time. My son thinks it funny when he moves my gear around in my vest, then he laughs like hell when I can't find what I'm looking for biggrin.gif

Rick

That is too mean!!! I'd freak if someone did that to me. My hands automatically go to a pocket for such said item. Too many pockets, yes; cause it seem that you end up carrying stuff just to fill the pocket. I've noticed a trend with carrying systems etc of cutting back on the pockets, but still providing space for everything that you really need.

Art

To me it depends if they're useful. A lot of pockets is worthless if they're not well organized and just pockets for the sake of pockets. I've used the Orvis Super tackle pak for a loonnggg time now and use them all and don't lose track of things one bit. It's actually starting to show signs of wearing out and I'll probably replace it with the same. I have another vest for steelhead fishing with a lot fewer pockets and I have a heck of time finding stuff in it.

I use to have a vest that had 32 pockets then I moved to a 17 pocket. I went through everything I had in the vest and determined the last time I used it. Many items went in the trash and some went into a tackle box. An item from the tackle box is only pulled when I know I will NEED it. I only use about 13 of the pockets on a regular basis. I notice the difference on days when fishing for a longer period of time.

I think if the shit.gif that is in the pockets is getting in the way when you are casting or anytime when you are fishing, that definitely means you have too much in your pockets. If you have a lot of pockets, then organize the pockets so that you have similar things together or close. And in the end, if the vest isn't too heavy and you can move around, then you are good to go! thumbsup.gif

karin, organize to a man might mean something a little different than to a women and it might not be that simple.

I know exactly where everything in my vest is, I can get everything I need without having to look, but am planning on buying a tactical chest pack system or something similar because the vest I've been using for years has alot of pockets I don't need or use. I'd prefer a six or eight pocket vest with a hydration bladder rather than one with a ton of little pockets like the one I'm using.

I don't wear a vest, I don't need a vest. I have learned that travelling light is the only way to fish. On stream or on the flats, the most I will carry is a small chest pack and a fanny pack. Anything else just gets in the way. If I am hiking in, I have a backpack that I leave on the riverbank while I fish.

I don't care about the pockets. I just can't stand those little fur, wool, or whatever the hell there made out of patches.