Fly Tying
spiaailtli

Dyna King Jaws

So quit messing around with it and send the whole vise back to dk and have them take a look at it in person. I'd bet they fix or replace it at no charge, I know I have had nothing but great service from them. Make sure you include a note explaining your problems with the vise and a copy of your reciept if you still have it. Good Luck

"the back of the jaws close before the front"

This indicates you have way too much tension on the jaws,,,,, they are deformed from over tightening.

I suggest purchase of new jaws and use some light grease on the cam and end of the jaws that contact the cam.

I also have a Professional model that I purchased when they first were introduced, sold it to a friend who was a commercial tyer and then he gave it back to me when he dropped out of FF.

The jaws are like new in this DK old timer that has tied 10's of thousands of flys.

Regards,

FK

I'm po'd at my barracuda. DK wants me to send it back but I still need it. The jaws keep locking up, ie won't release the hook. Gonna send it this summer to be repaired.

I also have a Barracuda, the black nut that compresses jaws may be binding or sticking.

I suggest you disassemble the black locking nut and clean out the inside surface.

Clean and polish the jaws where they contact the locking nut.

Apply some lub to the surfaces, also on the lever cam surface.

This should clear up the sticking problem

Regards,

FK

"the back of the jaws close before the front"

This indicates you have way too much tension on the jaws,,,,, they are deformed from over tightening.

I suggest purchase of new jaws and use some light grease on the cam and end of the jaws that contact the cam.

I also have a Professional model that I purchased when they first were introduced, sold it to a friend who was a commercial tyer and then he gave it back to me when he dropped out of FF.

The jaws are like new in this DK old timer that has tied 10's of thousands of flys.

Regards,

FK

You must have missed the part about them being that way from day one. I only increase the pressure a little at a time to try to keep the hook from slipping. I've since review quiet a few pictures online posted by people using DK and this appears to be a very common problem. I just didn't know how bad they were at holding hooks until I bought soemthing that worked way better. Prior I assume all vise types slipped and dropped hooks.

his is an example I found on another sire of someone elses vise jaws. Look how soft they are. See how they deform on hooks?

GreenwellsGloryDryPB261087.jpg

spiaailtli,

You are obviously simply "trolling". Why ever you have decided to bad mouth Dyna King, it has gotten old, give it a rest. If you really own a Dyna King and it isn't like you think it should be, follow the instructions from Dyna King and send it back for warranty inspection and repair. You are simply wasting band width here.

lewy271,

If you follow FKROW's instructions your sticking problem will most likely be resolved. The cam face and the thrust cone inside shoulder need to be cleaned and lubed whenever they get dry or dirty.

I just bought a DK Voyager II, which groove is used? Is the front for larger hooks? I haven't had a chance to mess with it. Any help

I'm po'd at my barracuda. DK wants me to send it back but I still need it. The jaws keep locking up, ie won't release the hook. Gonna send it this summer to be repaired.

Here is the solution to your problem directly from the DK website:

CLEANING & MAINTENANCE:

To clean and maintain the vise so that it performs at its optimum capability, wipe it down with a soft cloth and light machine oil, or lubricant spray such as WD40. It is important to periodically unscrew the forcing cone and pull out the jaws in order to grease the inside of the forcing cone and the outside of the jaw shank, using a marine boat grease, household grease, or Vaseline.

If necessary, the vise may be returned to the Cloverdale factory for refurbishing. For a small fee, the vise is repolished, greased, jaws are serrated, and the entire vise tested to standard specifications. We perform the refurbishment and ship the vise back on the same day it is received.

You are obviously simply "trolling". Why ever you have decided to bad mouth Dyna King, it has gotten old, give it a rest. If you really own a Dyna King and it isn't like you think it should be, follow the instructions from Dyna King and send it back for warranty inspection and repair. You are simply wasting band width here.

Sorry if i appears that way. Being disapointed is truely why I posted and I wanted to see if others had the same problem. Before I bought the vise I kept hearing how good the jaws were. After having the problem I looked up the address for warrant repairs and learned the jaws are not life time. When I learned they were only two years and they had a refurbish program for jaws it further made me wonder. Their response to my question about a 1 year old vise simply made me unhappy.

I've done warranty work for a bunch of companies over the years and this simply would be considered bad customer service by most. Yes the fee is small, $15 plus $5 to 7 for shipping, but on a vise listed as having a life time warranty with great jaws???

Finding out cheaper vises heald hooks better simply made maters worse in my mind. Reviewing their warranty and finding no exclusion made Dyna King suspect. Pictures of deformed jaws, warranty exclsions, jaw refurbish programs...they know.

I have my answers now so lets just put this one to bed and let it fade.

I think that even in the very best vises - occasionally the tempering is just not right and the vise ends up not holding hooks well and/or wearing out sooner. I have 2 older thomson A vises that I've had for years. One of them holds any hook rock solid while the other is just horrible at holding hooks. And they look almost identical.

Greg