Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Steelhead Hackle?

I've been looking at alot of steelhead patterns lately and most of them have really long hackle fibers compared to the saddle hackle that I use on most of my bass patterns. Can anyone clue me in into what type of hackle is used for these flies. Here's an example:

user posted image

My guess would be schlappen too. But normally most aren't that long of throats/collars on the flies. Not normally that is. Most "traditional" would be tied a bit shorter. Most "spey" style have the longer flowing throats like that one. I'd say it's more of an atlantic salmon knockoff then what we steelheaders would call a "steelhead" hackle. Normally, I don't use bigger hackle, except on my 1/0+ hooks for OlyPen steelhead.

but a nice fly. Reminds me of an Atlantic Salmon fly I saw in the UK.

Steelhead69,

What type of hackle would you recommend for most of the collars on your steelhead flies like a Purple Peril or a similar pattern?

I mostly use saddle hackle for most of my applications. Plus, you have to decide if you want more of a collar or a throat. Usually, I go more for the collar effect on my steelhead flies. Like I said, rarely go that long except on spey/atlantic type flies, or spiders.

I want to weigh in on the "what would you recommend..."

I will, generally, vary my collar hackle depending on hook size.

i.e., Purple Peril: McLeod's 1930's pattern description isn't specific, from what I remember. So, I will use schlappen on larger sizes, saddles on smaller. The last Purple Peril I tied was for display and donation. I used a very nice dyed hen saddle.

Thanks guys for all your advise. I'm slowly getting better and learning alot of little tips from you guys. rockon.gif

I've been using some dyed long goat hair for collars that I got from Chris Helm. It's nice and soft and plenty long enough. Comes in nice bright colors too.

Dfix, I should've clarified on that one. Normally, most of my "commercial" flies are tied on size 2 and under. Only some of my OlyPen customers use 1/0 up flies. So a saddle hackle will be more then enough collar for the fly. I have tied quite a few large donation flies too (up to size 5/0) and I agree, schlappen does work better for those flies.

Steelie, no argument from me - I don't tie comm., but wanted to clarify what I do - strictly proportional, just like you suggest.