Fly Tying
Horseshoes

Wet flies poll

Wet Flies   

219 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for soft hackles, but I do sometimes put in a bit of Z-lon or flash for a wing. I think a little bit of sparkle adds "life" to a bug that otherwise may just look like a bit of detritus floating in the water.

Just seen this thread. I ticked favoured softies cause in reality I tie one on 75% of the time but I do love the winged. Just look proper. Gonna have to try a BIG wet after reading troutguy and riff. A 4/0 for browns? How can you say no.

Never tied or fished them but this post got me fired up. Plus a little davey McPhail on you tube. Are they fished like streamers? I'll do some web research but what is the difference.

Never tied or fished them but this post got me fired up. Plus a little davey McPhail on you tube. Are they fished like streamers? I'll do some web research but what is the difference.

The way it looks to me when wet, softies fold to some degree or other against the hook and depending on the fly form a tear drop shape that looks fry like (to me anyway). The winged wets have less movement in the actual wing and hold that shape you tie them in. I think they get a little deeper quicker too but that might be my imagination.

And yes, just let them drop to the depth you think fish are at and tweak them back with different retrieves till you find the fish nibbling.

seems the moderators banned his profile and not the person

he also signed on under another user name. maybe that one will be banned also

I think he apologized yesterday in a new post. Look for one with 0 replies. People do stupid hings all the time, especially young adults. Yet, every action has a consequence. I guess it's up to the moderators.

The Don

I cant choose as i love all my wets equally. In a cast i usually have a winged on top, a flymph in the middle and spider on the bottom. I tie them in sizes from 8-28, They all have thier time and place on the stream :)

I like wets, but love soft hackles. I like tying them,carrying them, showing them, but most of all fishing them. I have about 30% of my softies tied in the "Glanrhro^s style of winging. Basically once you've wrapped the hackle on your wet the tip is tied in and not cut away thus becoming the wing. It looks great and fishes the same. Read about that in Sylvester Nemes "Soft-Hackled Fly Imitations"

I prefer to fish a winged wet fly on the point and I vary my dropper depending on the water, insect activity and where fish are taking bugs in the water column.

When fishing a team of winged wets, to get the flies to swim properly I stick to working very tight angles downstream (say from 4 - 6 o'clock with 6 being portion of stream directly below you).

If I'm searching water and fish are not rising I will put a soft hackle dropper on and widen the angle of my cast with bigger mends upstream -- the theory being soft hackle will fish the first part of the cast at dead drift and when the drift reaches the 4 o'clock angle downstream (where the soft hackle would drag) I lift the rod tip (put on the brakes) and walk the winged-wet across the current.

In this method I simply get more miles per cast, can cover more water and catch fish on the soft hackle that would have ignored a winged-wet that was not "swimming" properly.

I'll also swap the soft-hackle for a heavily weighted nymph when I want to swim my wing wet deeper.

In my area we are not allowed to use droppers in fresh water. Only allowed one fly. So you have to match your hatch better or use the most enticing fly or attractor. Fine tuning I guess. Salt water, yes there we have fun.

I have noticed over time that most use dries or wingless wets. Well at least in my experiences.