Fly Tying
iso18

how good of a tyer r u really and how do you feel about your tying whe

WHAT KIND OF TYER DO U CONSIDER YOURSELF 2B  

596 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

well,what a relief it looks like the majority r right there where im at.Decent,while critiquing and getting frustraed with new techniques.I also feel i can tie any fly,its just that it may take me a minute and i am never satisfied.For insatance just tied three new patterns out of hatches and cant stop obsessing about them but a couple of my friends looked at the flies and say they look like the ones in the picture,but i knew where i had trouble when tying them and where i could've should've did better and quicker.........I also have ocd,i wonder if this might be a little of the problem.

shane

As long as what I'm tying catches fish or atleast gets them to rise on drys or hit a nymph I'm happy.

But I always like a challange with something new untill I get it right.

I'm an excellent tier! However, only within the context of the type of tying I do. New things do present challenges, that's why I try new things, but I rarely get frustrated, and never say I can't. I know I can always figure it out. Every fly starts with the basic techniques, and I've been tying for a long time, so it's done without having to think about it. Special techniques, may challenge me, but again, I'm confident I can tie anything!

I also tie flies for fishing! They're intended to be used & catch fish with them. I've tied a few flies for display, but never got into anything real fancy. For example, I've never tried full dress salmon flies or ultra realistic flies. Not my thing. I know I could if I wanted to, and it would take some time to perfect, but I'm sure I could do it. I enjoy learning, but there are some things I just have no desire to pursue at this point. That may change in the future, but I'll think about it then.

I'm an good tier! However, only within the context of the type of tying I do. New things do present challenges, that's why I try new things, but I rarely get frustrated, and never say I can't. I know I can always figure it out. Every fly starts with the basic techniques, and I've been tying for a long time, so it's done without having to think about it. Special techniques, may challenge me, but again, I'm confident I can tie anything!

I also tie flies for fishing! They're intended to be used & catch fish with them. I've tied a few flies for display, but never got into anything real fancy. For example, I've never tried full dress salmon flies or ultra realistic flies. Not my thing. I know I could if I wanted to, and it would take some time to perfect, but I'm sure I could do it. I enjoy learning, but there are some things I just have no desire to pursue at this point. That may change in the future, but I'll think about it then.

on the same page with u there.every fly i tied for ftoty was a new fly i had never tyed,with the exception of 2.I guess like some o\have said,i have great days and horrible days at the vice,just mayb e need to remember to take my klonopin before starting a new pattern.

shane

p.s. i changed excellent to good to fit my description of my opinion of my tying in your quote.

If the first selection had the words " and dead sexy" added to them it would almost be identical to my wikipedia page!

If the first selection had the words " and dead sexy" added to them it would almost be identical to my wikipedia page!

LMAO :hyst: :hyst:

I figure it like this I have gone to the river with friends pulled out my flybox selected a fly started tying it on to hear my friends say wtf is that? and start laughing being the nice guy I laugh and say go ahead I will follow you guys at the end of the day when I am looking at the fish I caught I answer with guess I will call that fly successful

Weather I am trying to catch fish or fishermen with my flies I am constantly trying new tecniques and finding myself frustrated often. Usually I just take a step back from the vice, take a breath, and then pounce when it's not looking.

If that doesn't work try again.

:)

S

when I tie a new fly I take it over to my friends at the fly shop and they look at them and say well they will catch fish!!!!

I am usually happier at the outcome than the better tiers I have critique them but they are right they do catch fish. I have only been at this since last summer so at this point what more can I expect I know that next year my flies wil look a lot better. I have been told that when you compare say an adams from last summer to one you will tie a year from now there is no comparison. I cant wait fred

I chose not to vote because there really isnt a catagory that fits me. In my opinion there is no such thing as a crappy tyer. I strive to learn new things every time I tie. I tie to hook the fish not the human eye. To lable one as a crappy tyer to me would be an insult to the effort a person actually puts into the art.

If I were tying for show and tell this would be a differant story, but I could really care less as long as they catch fish.

I consider myself as a Good tyer who does not obsess with perfection and ties to lure the fish not the human. Add that to the list and I might consider voting.

I don't really no how good of a tier I am!! I don't consider my self to be a bad Tier but cant consider my self an excellent ether!!!!!!!!!

tyrite (Glen Dayton)

I chose not to vote because there really isnt a catagory that fits me. In my opinion there is no such thing as a crappy tyer. I strive to learn new things every time I tie. I tie to hook the fish not the human eye. To lable one as a crappy tyer to me would be an insult to the effort a person actually puts into the art.

If I were tying for show and tell this would be a differant story, but I could really care less as long as they catch fish.

I consider myself as a Good tyer who does not obsess with perfection and ties to lure the fish not the human. Add that to the list and I might consider voting.

I dont know how to edit a poll.Can't seem to find the way to do it,or i would add that.Sorry,hillbilly.

shane

No Problem you dont need to edit the poll on account of me. Those are just my views, not everyone has the same opinions and we all tie differantly and have our own methods that work for us.

I dont know how to edit a poll.Can't seem to find the way to do it,or i would add that.Sorry,hillbilly.

shane