Fly Tying
iso18

how good of a tyer r u really and how do you feel about your tying whe

WHAT KIND OF TYER DO U CONSIDER YOURSELF 2B  

596 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a pretty good tyer, but I'm also a huge critic of my own work. I've been told that I tie good flies, but I still feel very insecure about my tying abilities. And thanks in no small part to being a guitarist, tying quill wings is a huge drawback for me due to my finger calluses always snagging on the thread.

My wife says I am the best fly tier she has ever seen, but then again, I am the ONLY fly tier she has ever seen. I can scare my sister-in-law, and niece with my realistic Roaches, they won't even touch em even after I tell them they are made from foam and fur. I can do pretty good on most things, but like most tiers there are types of flies I don't tie, or haven't tied.

Since my bugs catch the fish I tie them for, I consider myself a good enough tier for my needs.

post-12074-0-15435300-1389622650_thumb.jpg

I'm a decent tyer with alot of room for improvement. There are some days when everything i ties looks great, and other days when i just don't have it and everything I try doesn't work.

I feel like I can tie anything I want and do it pretty well. I am overly hard on my work and so many times take a razor blade to fly that would have no problem catching fish but doesn't suit me for one reason or other. Makes me a better tier

A crappie tyer just happy tying flies .......(that catch fish???) We will see...as far as the second part of that goes, these are the first few months I have tied and season starts this March. Its fun and occupies time which is really all that matters. Its nice being new because you tend to take criticism and suggestions better I would imagine. I think the biggest obstacle to overcome is not so much getting better at tying (that will come)... but gaining a better understanding of which flies to tie (entomology) especially being new to fishing also...... all in all I have a good time on the river and on the vise!

Hard to choose among the options. I am an excellent tier for a range of flies; having tied a couple dozen bass patterns and about a dozen trout patterns commercially. Just the same, those techniques I didn't hone to perfection can still give me trouble. I do a pretty decent deer hair do, but I would call it short of "excellent" and I still struggle controlling my spins. I am still developing my creativity. I have a large amount of "legacy" material and so am currently focused on creating new patterns based on what I have and trying not to purchase anything new except hook resupply, thread if needed, i.e. the basics. So, I am totally expert in one array of patterns, and just very good at most else. I tie a lousy ant. Can't seem to get motivated to tie a decent ant. I don't fish ants. I don't care about ants. Guess that has something to do with it. Oh yeah I'm remembering, for some reason I don't do a great hopper - that mystifies me a bit. I think that's because I haven't settled on a pattern, so I'm unhappy with it. The ones I do have are perfectly adequate, but I look at them and say "iik."

:-)

I'd say I'm pretty good, only things that really annoy me are tying off parachutes and spinning deer hair so that I get a uniform shape out of it.

I went with the majority and went "decent". My quality has improved greatly since I've frequented this board and done a lot of swaps. One thing that I will NEVER get into that will keep me from going a lot higher in the categories is great concern about proportions of the various parts. Tail too long? Body taper wrong? Wing to big or too small? Hackle too many wind or too thin? Guess what. Chewed up flies that can hardly be recognized as what was tied on still catch fish and to me that's the most important part of the tie. I try to do these things right but don't razor blade every one that isn't proportioned right. If it's really crap yes, I'll go back to bare hook on that one, but for the most part they'll work and go in the box.

I consider myself fair.....always room for improvement...& they can't be too bad because the fish seem to like them

I consider myself fair.....always room for improvement...& they can't be too bad because the fish seem to like them

Me too.

If the fish didn´t take them, then i would be "worried".