Fly Tying

How do you finish your fly

Do you use a half hitch or Whip finish  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started tying flies with the Whip finish by hand.

I had went to to Fly Shop later on and watch a tier using a Whip finish tool. I talked to him about it and he showed me how it was much faster it was to use and suggested that I try it. I bought one, took it home and practiced with it for a couple of days. Now this is all I use. wink.gif

I am surprised at all the votes for whip finish with a tool.

Maybe it was just me that could not figure those damn things out.

I honeslty though whip finish by hand would be higher dunno.gif

QUOTE (J. Johnson @ Aug 9 2004, 02:54 PM)
I am surprised at all the votes for whip finish with a tool.
Maybe it was just me that could not figure those damn things out.

I honeslty though whip finish by hand would be higher dunno.gif

Old people aren't easily retrained! dry.gif

I could never figure those whip finishers out either. I learned to whip finish by hand, but do some tendon problems in the right hand, i haven't been able to do it recently. The tendons are slowly loosening up so I think in a month or so I should be able to whip finish by ahnd again. (tried to figure out the tool again and just failed, so I gave up)

Mark Delaney

The Gentleman that taught me how to use the Whipfinish tool told me to take it home and practice with it for a couple of hours. So me, I took it home a practiced with it for a couple of days. blink.gif All I did was tie Whipfinish knots over and over again. Now when I finish my flies it is a snap. This makes it easy for me considering I have Familia Tremors and trying to whipfinish by hand was a real pain. Sometimes it would take me 10 - 15 minutes to whipfinish by hand. Now it is only a couple of seconds. biggrin.gif

For those of you out there who haven't been able to get the standard whip finishers to work well try a renzetti rotary whip finisher. It is much easier to use. the actually whip head rotates free of the handle much like rotary hackle pliers. this allows for very simple use just wrap thread into whip finisher and rotate fly or tool like you were spinning on thread from a bobbin.