Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tobbe1

First caddis flies

HI all.

Posting one emerging and one just emerged.

The air buble in the wing will keep the emerged caddis floating. thats why ive done the wing with a "stretched" and glued plastic bag on

These are prototypes so pleas comment so I can progress. If you dont like em say so and viceversa.

post-18510-1236358018_thumb.jpg

post-18510-1236358040_thumb.jpg

post-18510-1236358057_thumb.jpg

Hi Tobbe.

To me they look semirealistic and i just cant get it. Is there anything you cant tie? youre flies looks real fine, i cant fine anything to complane about... sorry ;)

Bamsekram C

Tobbe, they both look very good. Great ties. My only recommendation is more about caddis and fishing them than your flies. Unlike mayflies, caddis flies do not ride and drift to dry their wings. They swim to the surface and bust through the film as their wing makes it's final emergence then forcibly fly off, their wings drying during the process. The point at which your winged fly is representing is almost non exsistent to the fish. However, it could be taken for a drowned or crippled caddis. You may already know all this, it is just my thoughts when I saw the fly. If I were imitating the winged emergent stage of the caddis, I would want the fly to be present just a few inches below the surface of the water and the wing would not be fully formed yet and probably a bit shorter.

I can see you put some time and attention to detail into these two and they came out wonderful. Nice job.

Ah ok. Thanks. So i keep the fly as it is but with not full grown wings and maby antennas pointing backwards (as it is surfacing) and maby som pupa leftovers in the back. lets see ill tie one up and post it here.

Question, how come there are so manny caddis patterns with large wings and massive hackle if simulating a fully grown is rather useles from a fishing point of vue ? I´ve got to read some books on this.

Oh I found a cool site with pics of an emerging caddis fly check it out ..................

Now I have another question. It looks like they are hatching on land or just where the water meets land? Is this true? If so then imitating a hatching caddis is useles. Dont think ill catch a trofe fish in one inch of water. Better imitate one that is swiming towards the surface then.

Good bugs Tobbe, I was going to say the same as Old Hat. Only other thing that I do with my emergers is use CDC for the throat and legs, I like how it captures minute air bubbles.

Cheers, Futzer.

Ah ok. Thanks. So i keep the fly as it is but with not full grown wings and maby antennas pointing backwards (as it is surfacing) and maby som pupa leftovers in the back. lets see ill tie one up and post it here.

Question, how come there are so manny caddis patterns with large wings and massive hackle if simulating a fully grown is rather useles from a fishing point of vue ? I´ve got to read some books on this.

Oh I found a cool site with pics of an emerging caddis fly check it out ..................

Now I have another question. It looks like they are hatching on land or just where the water meets land? Is this true? If so then imitating a hatching caddis is useles. Dont think ill catch a trofe fish in one inch of water. Better imitate one that is swiming towards the surface then.

You are right...there are a lot of caddis patterns with the full wings and a lot of hackle. These are tied to represent an adult caddis usually available to the fish when they return to the river lay eggs. Some will drop and slap the water to release the eggs, some will float along and lay, and some will dive under and swim to the bottom. The fly you have tied will ride too low in the water to represent this stage. This is not to say that it won't catch any fish, it's just not a stage that the fish look for when they are feeding on caddis and your catching would probably be better with an adult that rides high or a emerging pupa pattern just under the surface. Again though, it is a cool tie. I would probably keep it as it is but try to add some hackle to get it to ride higher on the surface. If you shorten the wings and tie the antennae back then your just getting close to the other pattern you tied.

I am so happy and impressed with the huge skill and knowlege among the members in this forum, thanx alot. i will try that and see if i can manage to make one 2 morrow.