Fly Tying
satchelo

stacking deer hair

Be sure to use small amounts of hair for each tie. Make sure you pack each bundle of hiar tightly with a packer or similar tool. Then when your hook is all packed with hair, cut your shape larger than you wish, then trim it down later using a two sided old fashioned razor blade. These are available at most drug stores. Other than that...lots of practise. You can find videos on the web showing you tips. try Youtube and sites like that.

Be sure to use small amounts of hair for each tie. Make sure you pack each bundle of hiar tightly with a packer or similar tool. Then when your hook is all packed with hair, cut your shape larger than you wish, then trim it down later using a two sided old fashioned razor blade. These are available at most drug stores. Other than that...lots of practise. You can find videos on the web showing you tips. try Youtube and sites like that.

Thanks mouse6196

Be sure to get all of the underfur combed out before you tie it in. And use good, strong thread. Know the tension at which you will cut through the hair, and consistently pull just short of that point.

Deeky

Like already said..........practice, practice, practice. That's all it takes. Choosing the proper deer hair helps lesson the confusion. Some good info can be found here.........http://globalflyfisher.com/staff/helm/selecting

This particular site will give you all the info you need about deer hair, what to do with it, how to stack it, etc and is certainly worth reading and keeping as reference material.

Personally, I use mostly deer hair for all of my Bass and Pike critters and have found that stacking the hair as tightly as possible makes the difference in a good vs poor fly. I have tried hair stackers, but have found that my strong thumb nails do a better quicker job and I don't have to keep picking up another tool to complete that task. I also use the old fashion double sided razor blades, but break them in half so they are a single sided blade........lessons the chance of cutting fingers. I only use the blade for a rough trim and then finish the fly using a good quality pair of scissors. You would be surprised how much longer you can fish a well stacked deer hair fly compared to a loosely stacked one and they certainly float quite well.

Have fun spinning! :yahoo:

If you have cable or broadband we can meet in the virual room and I can give you some great pointers, pm me or call 248-765-4427 Bruce

We tied these in our virtual classroom and ellet166 recorded them and put on u-tube, you can see them tied by searching ellet166 on u-tube but its pretty boring. Call me and we can meet and crank one out

post-4571-1237135646_thumb.jpg

If you're trying to tie a really dense, large deer hair fly, you must use lots of hair -- that means large bundles, as well as hair stacked on top of previously stacked hair, and getting as much hair on the hook as possible up to the hook eye.

If you've ever tied a "stacked" deer hair fly you'll notice that as you trim the fly, the hair gets denser as you trim closer to the hook shank. This is because you're trimming closer and closer to the thread wraps. By stacking hair on top of previously stacked hair, you're in effect raising the level of the thread wraps so that when you trim the fly, you end up trimming closer to the thread wraps, which results in more density. The challenge is to trim close to these thread wraps without trimming through them.

A lot of deer hair flies are won or lost by whether the tyer tries to get that one more bundle of hair on at the hook eye. If there's 1/32" of room left behind the hook eye, you need to get more hair on the hook. Getting as much hair on the hook as possible up to the hook eye, helps compress all the hair behind it, makes it much less likely the hair will spin around the hook when you fish it, and will greatly improve its appearance.

Bottom-line is, assuming you're going for a really dense fly (which isn't always necessarily the goal), if you don't get a lot of hair on the hook all the way up to the hook eye, it doesn't matter how tightly you "pack" the fly, it won't be nearly as dense as it could be and its appearance will suffer. Just for example's sake, when I tie a Dahlberg Diver, I'm getting at least 19 - 21 healthy bundles of hair on each fly.

-- Mike

If you have cable or broadband we can meet in the virual room and I can give you some great pointers, pm me or call 248-765-4427 Bruce

We tied these in our virtual classroom and ellet166 recorded them and put on ebay, you can see them tied by searching ellet166 on u-tube but its pretty boring. Call me and we can meet and crank one out

those are some of the nicest poppers Ive seen done with deer hair. Really nice

use gel spun thread and give chris helms a call,he is very helpful and will talk with u over the phone.His company is "whitetail fly tying",I think thats the name.

shane

correct on Chris Helm he is the micheal angelo of tying with hair his knowlage of the subject is outstanding and as some one said earlier find anything he has done and watch it read it or listen to it that is the correct name of his shop it is in toledo ohio and great prices on everything and gel spun is the way to go for thread and practice as much as possable if you dont like the finished pice take a razor and cut it off and tie another keep us posted thank

Another very useful tool for spinning hairbugs is a battery operated nose/ear hair trimmer. I trim the basic shape by hand first and then use the clippers to neaten in it up.

Hi satchelo,

A must-have for stacking any kind of hair is a static electricity remover like Static Guard or a Bounce pad. If your stacked hair sticks to your stacker and you OR the underfur tries to stick to the same items then you need Static Guard located in the clothes-washing area of your local super market. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com