Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
B.C.TroutHunter

Funniest Thing Caught Fishing?

Someone lost there stringer (it came untied from where he had it tied off) with 4 steelhead on it up stream of me.

Guess who caught the stringer (man what a fight)

OSD.

I caught a Loon. I was throwing a clouser on a fast sinking shooting head line into a deep hole holding redfish. This Loon was diving for baitfish and we crossed paths and I hooked him in the webbing on it's foot. It took 30 minutes for me to get that thing close enough to get the fly out. I claim the IGFA record for Loon on a flyrod. cool.gif

Me and a friend were spin salmon fishing one day and, like he had done thousands of times before, he released the bail on his reel and started his cast. But this time, as he finished the cast he just let the rod go - whing! - 20' out into the river. Wish I had a picture of the look on his face! blink.gif

The river was chocolate milk colored from all the silt, and the bottom was dangerous wet quicksand/mud so there was no way he could go out and try to get it. I quickly reeled in my line and cast downstream as far as I could. I let the lure drop to the bottom and slowly began reeling it back in. I didn't feel anything unusual, but when I got the lure back in his lure was hooked to mine! Best I could tell I had hooked his line and the treble hook on my lure had slid down until it caught on his lure. He grabbed it and started to slowly pull in the line. After a few seconds he felt a tug, and if it wasn't his rod, still attached to the end of the line! He must've had a mean knot holding the line to the spool.

He drug the rod back in, rewrapped the line on the spool, and we continued fishing for the rest of the day. Ended up being a good day too!

The funniest day fishing was when we (same guy) got charged by a grizzly while fishing in a canoe - yes, it really is funny. That one is pretty long and best told over a few beers though. Sorry...

I caught a Loon.

laugh.gif I'm glad I'm nott the only one who's had a run-in with a loon. Oh man, I forgot about that one! Another time...

The funniest day fishing was when we (same guy) got charged by a grizzly while fishing in a canoe - yes, it really is funny. That one is pretty long and best told over a few beers though. Sorry...

I'm glad I'm nott the only one who's had a run-in with a loon. Oh man, I forgot about that one! Another time...

Ok, now you've got me interested. Please tell me. Pretty please? cry.gif

laugh.gif

i caught a tarp

A very BIG tarp.

stupid detroit river. The best thing is that it flaps around in the current so it really felt like I had a fish (sturgeon). About an hour later of chasing it and having onlookers, i boated the beast much to my chagrin. pretty embarassing really.

steve

I was fly fishing in a canoe on a small local lake for stocker trout and had just hooked a 12" who was struggling about 20' from the boat. I saw a flash under the canoe that I thought was a very large trout - which got me a bit excited. All of a sudden, line started peeling off of my reel at full speed. I was using a 3wt, so I didn't have any chance of slowing the run of whatever was at the end of the line. The run stopped, and about 50' away a loon pops to the surface of the water with my 12" fish wiggling in it's beak - fly and line still dangling from it's mouth. It dropped the trout, which I immediately started to reel back in as fast as I could. The loon looked around - obviously confused shocking.gif - as the poor trout came skimming back towards me over the water. After a couple of seconds it dives back under water, grabs my fish again, and the whole dance begins anew. We must have done this at least a dozen times - loon would drop fish, I'd reel it in, look would dive and grab fish, loon surfaces with fish in mouth... The person I was with had, by now, spilled his beer, nearly tipped over the canoe a half-dozen times from laughing so hard, and dropped his oar into the lake. lol.gif Finally I was able to haul in the poor little stocker to the boat before the loon could grab it again. The poor little thing had gone to it's maker. I pulled out the fly with the loon watching and dropped it into the pond where it quickly started to sink. The loon immediately dove, and I watched it swoop under the boat and grab it's hard earned prize. We called the fishing day over after that, mostly because our feet were soaked in beer and we only had one paddle...

The bear story would really make a long short story - or a short novel - so if anyone wants to ever hear that one, we'll have to meet up and I'll tell it over a campfire and some beers. smile.gif

(Et Cum Spiritu Tuo)

Well, I haven't caught anything interesting myself.

But I was present at the time when Nick caught something interesting...

A snake!! Quite fun to watch and see the look on Nick's face as well!

Fishing for striped bass in the surf with spinning gear I hooked into a grey seal that had been bobbing around for half the morning. it went out to sea about as fast as any mammal can move, when the line come tight it tore the face off my reel, and cleaned the guides off half the rod, the other half broke off and away it went.

-T

QUOTE (Carl @ Jul 20 2004, 10:51 AM)
I was fly fishing in a canoe on a small local lake for stocker trout and had just hooked a 12" who was struggling about 20' from the boat. I saw a flash under the canoe that I thought was a very large trout - which got me a bit excited. All of a sudden, line started peeling off of my reel at full speed. I was using a 3wt, so I didn't have any chance of slowing the run of whatever was at the end of the line. The run stopped, and about 50' away a loon pops to the surface of the water with my 12" fish wiggling in it's beak - fly and line still dangling from it's mouth. It dropped the trout, which I immediately started to reel back in as fast as I could. The look looked around - obviously confused shocking.gif - as the poor trout came skimming back towards me over the water. After a couple of seconds it dives back under water, grabs my fish again, and the whole dance begins anew. We must have done this at least a dozen times - loon would drop fish, I'd reel it in, look would dive and grab fish, loon surfaces with fish in mouth... The person I was with had, by now, spilled his beer, nearly tipped over the canoe a half-dozen times from laughing so hard, and dropped his oar into the lake. lol.gif Finally I was able to haul in the poor little stocker to the boat before the loon could grab it again. The poor little thing had gone to it's maker. I pulled out the fly with the loon watching and dropped it into the pond where it quickly started to sink. The loon immediately dove, and I watched it swoop under the boat and grab it's hard earned prize. We called the fishing day over after that, mostly because our feet were soaked in beer and we only had one paddle...

The bear story would really make a long short story - or a short novel - so if anyone wants to ever hear that one, we'll have to meet up and I'll tell it over a campfire and some beers. smile.gif

(Et Cum Spiritu Tuo)

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

i caught a tarp
A very BIG tarp.
stupid detroit river. The best thing is that it flaps around in the current so it really felt like I had a fish (sturgeon). About an hour later of chasing it and having onlookers, i boated the beast much to my chagrin. pretty embarassing really.

lol.gif laugh.gif lol.gif

It's not just that you caught it, but that you fought it! Makes me wonder how many of those lunkers that I never saw and got away were really old pairs of skivvies or drop cloths or something!. tongue.gif

Can someone please tell me what Loon is? ohmy.gif Sory, but I am not that good in english... dunno.gif

Just returned from holidays... laugh.gif

My funny story?

Caught a bat for two times. Just as I intendet to finish the cast and drop the line, when the end of the line went into the sky. blink.gif help.gif You can imagine the look on my face (and on my friends face when he had to help me to unhook the poor little bat) biggrin.gif

Me, and two of my friends went fishing one afternoon. Everything was swell, until one of my friends hooked other one between his legs (right in his ba...) bugeyes.gif crying.gif It was loud and fun(for me devil.gif biggrin.gif )! The story ended in hospital. His wife is still mad on our friend (the fisherman tongue.gif )

I caught a shoe once... I was fishing under a dam and suddenly I feel a strong bite. Was realy heavy too, some people was watching me and expecting to see that monster trout. I was soo embarassed. unsure.gif ph34r.gif

Oh, this is Loon. I "caught" something simmilar once couple years ago, when I was also spinning (beside flyfishing). I cast out a Mann's Shadow when this damn bird took it. When I saw the look on its face I almost died laughing. biggrin.gif

Got couple of funny stories that happened me while I was fishing, but they are not for public exposure. wink.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Let's just say that when you are standing still and quiet in the water near bush, you can see a lot of things. bugeyes.gif headbang.gif laugh.gif