Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flyweaver

30 parachute midge

I was trying to tie some 30 and 32 parachute midges that the trout are now feeding on. The post was giving me fits. Then I got the idea of twisting some fine wire together over the hook shank and securing it with thread and cement. I then put 3 turns of hackle around the post and cut the post down to the hackle. I hope they are not too heavy and sink. Have any of you tried this method?

I use foam and gel crazy glue for my post... tie in the foam post...tie in your hackle on the hook and then up the post, make the body of the fly and tie off the thread. Then put a small drop of gel super glue with a bodkin on the side of the post facing you... wrap your hackle and then let it and the pliers hang down over the side of the hook away from you for 30 secs... then cut the hackle off.

At that size, tying a parachute or really going into detail is pushing it. Any pattern I tie that small is tied as simple as possible. As far as using wire for the post, it will most likely sink the fly, unless you have wire that is hair thin and that might not even work. The Griffith's Gnat is a good example, at size 30 or 32, a thread body and wrapped hackle, easy and quick to tie, and an effective pattern.

What about trying a piece of mono for the post then trim or burn it down( saw a neat trick on this is to have peice of thin cardboard cut a slit into so the mono slides into and burn the mono down to size that way you do not burn your matereials) just a suggestion....good luck

mike

What about trying a piece of mono for the post then trim or burn it down( saw a neat trick on this is to have peice of thin cardboard cut a slit into so the mono slides into and burn the mono down to size that way you do not burn your matereials) just a suggestion....good luck

mike

like has been said,when u get to size 28 and smaller,it gets allot tougher to get detail.Keep it simple.Here is a fly commonly fished on my favorite stream.'

Hook-28 or 30-#32

thread-whatever the color of the bug you r immitating.

Wing-cdc

Body-thread

Tie the cdc wing on the middle of the shank.

Buid up your thread behind the wing, forming the body.

Then jump in front of the wing and build thread up,causing the cdc wing to slant slightly backwards.

Whip finish-or half hitch

You could also use embroidery floss and make the pupae,you could float it ,or sink it.Simple and effective.

hope this helps

shane

The reason for the parachute and size 30-32 is they will not take a griffiths gnat or a thread midge with a cdc wing. That is what I have tied and tried for these tough wild trout.

What I am trying to imitate is a midge that looks like a size 24 black midge with dun wings, but is a size 30-32. The only way to see one up close is to seine the water with a fine mesh net.

I can't see a 30, post pics if you can find it again. :hyst:

I tried to tie 32's got some nasty headachs. The wife bought me a magnafing light now I like tying anything from 20's to 30's . I just put a drop or t of glue on my post's to hold it . also on smaller flies I've been using hi vis it's easier to tie. IMHO

The reason for the parachute and size 30-32 is they will not take a griffiths gnat or a thread midge with a cdc wing. That is what I have tied and tried for these tough wild trout.

What I am trying to imitate is a midge that looks like a size 24 black midge with dun wings, but is a size 30-32. The only way to see one up close is to seine the water with a fine mesh net.

That is the way it is on the elk.The last few years i have gotten by with 24's and caught my share.But the guides and others up there,swear by the thread cdc.And believe me,these trout r very selective.There will be 100 trout rising around you,20-30 in unison.And you scan the water for bugs,and they r not there.But you see, they are there,likie you said,they r so small,you have to net them to reaLLy see them up close.

shane

I apologize even before my comment. Since i don't tie anything that small because i could never tie a leader to it.

With that said i can't help but remember back to the first law in automotive diagnostics and building... a good kiss is best.

K.I.S.S.= keep it simple stupid.

When you get down this fine the simplest solution is bound to pay. I see a problem with the parachute hackle actually staying wrapped around the wire since the wire is so smooth...are you twisting the wire around the hackle to hold the hackle in place also?

please do not take offense as i am bringing this old adage up as a reference ONLY. My question is brought up as curiosity on a technique that i would never even be able to see much less tie.

That all said, my hats off to you for attempting anything in this size range.

And that salute is too any-one with the eye-sight and capability.

Those guys in S.E. Pa. all fish with flies from 22-32 all the time. have to on the spring creeks there. I know I lived there for 40+ years. There's a few of them that tie size 32 royal coachman, plum bob is one of them..I think they just like to show off...

wow 32 para, i have a hard time with size 20 parachutes, where do you get hackle small enough for 32's, also what size tippet do you use when fishing them

Those little hackles from the top of the neck, when I buy a neck I look at hese as well as the the rest of the neck. I go 7 or 8x and when they get really picky I use mono sewing thread. Which becomes really hairy when you hook into a big one.

Those little hackles from the top of the neck, when I buy a neck I look at hese as well as the the rest of the neck. I go 7 or 8x and when they get really picky I use mono sewing thread. Which becomes really hairy when you hook into a big one.

ok, thanks..........................also what brand hackle do you use, whiting??????