Fly Tying
airedale

How Many Flies are in Your Collection?

How Many Flies do You Have?  

294 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have close to 1000 flies in my box. I tie for myself and a friend once and awhile. Because of my health I don't get on the water much maybe twice a year. My boat bag in plum full. I got to get out more.. :thumbup:

I have been tying for a year and I have about 125, but I have tied and given away triple that. I needed the practice and I need to see what worked. My collection should start growing fast now that I don't give many away anymore.

I have around the 5000 mark not to sure havent counted them but it,s a lot I tie most days some times only a few other times dozens if I like the pattern,mostly dries and cdc,s anything from size size 10 down to size 16

I feel like a duffer....... I have ten boxes of flies in a vest and four boxes in a fanny pack (salt water). I have a bunch just laying around. I doubt I have over 500. When I re do my boxes, people get my hand me downs.

I have 12 collectibles tied by the Dettes and their three autographs. I blew it with the Darbees, I thought they would live for ever. I fished their flies. My Grandfather gave me a couple of boxes of flies tied by an assortment of Catskill tiers. I can picture them cause I took some apart to see how they were tied and used the rest. I kick myself when I go to the Catskill Fly Museum.

No matter how much flies I say I have in my boxes, it will always be too many for my spouse. :o

But she let's me spend and tye them anyway cause it's good for me. ;)

The majority of my flies are store bought, Orvis made a lot of money off of me :lol: But now that I've started tying my own, the number of flies I own should double by the end of the year and J Stockard is getting a lot of money out of me :hyst: I thought I was supposed to save money tying my own flies :j_k:

Since last posting I had a chance to get a better idea of what was in my fly boxes. At present 290+ flies from fly swaps with another 125 on the way, 100 or so that are store bought, and about 30+ that I tied for myself. I lost 2 to the Lilly Pad Monsters last week :crying: I carry everything in 7 Fly Boxes, 2 Altoids Tins and a Flay Wallet. I have a larger tray at home that I just started to fill up.

I have over 2500 and growing and I am constantly tying not only for myself or my friends and building new patterns.

It is an addiction. B)

I hope I have enough options. Some of you probably have way more. Oh, and if you own a fly shop, don't include all the flies in your shop. Just your personal collection. I have about 294 flies. Might have miscounted. Now that I look at that number, I feel like I might have a bit of a small collection actually.

Dang.........I haven't even tried to count. Way too many. A lot of my own designs, (I don't count the production fly tying), and many from swaps over the years. :blink:

I'm in the 250-500 range but that's because its summer and I geve away a bunch. In february and March I would safely say that number heads upwards of 700.

I add to my collection everyday. All the flies I tie for Swaps and customers (all 1 of them) that get culled because of excessive imperfections land

in my personal fly boxes. And believe me...I tie a lot of flies with excessive imperfections.

Mike

I'd guess that I have around 14,000 - 15,000 flies. I tied for 8 years before I started flyfishing (long story) and have been fishing and tying for 7 years. I only use maybe 5% of the flies I tie. The rest are patterns for species that I don't fish for but wanted to tie the fly. When I tie the flies that I fish with, I tie quite a few of each pattern in different sizes and color combinations. I usually don't tie more than one of the others unless I'm not satisfied with it and keep on until I am.

wow yall have some flys. i dont tie my own yet , I only have about 50 to 75 all store bought but will start tying soon just looking for the right deal on ebay to come along are save some more money