Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
boynabubble

Olympus Stylus Tough 6000

I have been looking at buying a waterproof camera for some time now, after completely dunking one and nearly killing the other with a few close calls. My old camera provided many years of fine service, but with a busy season around the corner and an increasing love of photography, I decided it was time to lay down a little money and buy a more durable camera.

I settled on the Olympus Stylus 6000 ($299) because it's waterproof to 10ft, shockproof to 5ft and will still function perfectly at nearly 10 degrees F! It's 10 megapixels and packed with features. You can get it in 4 different colors but I chose orange so it may be a little easier to spot if I happen to misplace it streamside. ^_^ There are a lot of options to help you get the best shot in different weather and light conditions. It also features a super macro with an LED light for really close up shots, perfect for photographing flies and such.

I especially love the hi speed sequential shot feature which allows you to press and hold the shutter button and rapidly take shots of your subject (about 5 shots/sec). Maybe I can use this to capture some sweet casting shots! Since it's waterproof, I'm hoping to get some shots of landing and releasing fish.

I'm really happy with this camera so far and have no doubt that it will survive many dunks, drops and other general abuse.

post-20827-1238260201_thumb.jpg

post-20827-1238260299_thumb.jpg

How is it at macro photos of flies?

Roy

Here are a couple samples of flies along with some underwater pics.

Mercury Midge

post-20827-1238546643_thumb.jpg

Klinkhammer

post-20827-1238546776_thumb.jpg

Klinkhammer underwater

post-20827-1238546913_thumb.jpg post-20827-1238547027_thumb.jpg

post-20827-1238547215_thumb.jpg post-20827-1238547346_thumb.jpg

The underwater pictures aren't the best quality, but I was basically dunking the camera in the stream and hoping for a good shot. :)

The Stylus' are nice cameras. I've got a DSLR that I like to keep dry, but for fishing/hunting/whater, I use a Stylus 720 and a 790. They're great cameras. Enjoy!

Nice pictures. A lot nicer than my old Nikon coolpix

Roy

I just picked up the bigger brother, the Tough 8000. Felt a little more sturdy in the hand.

So far I love it too! A lot of the same features. I just wanted it for fishing and hunting, taking abuse, getting wet etc.

I took it out and took some underwater videos of suckers spawning.

Turned out ok. The water was really stained and not clear at all.

I find with the lens being so small it really sucks in low light. But with anything, you trade off for other benefits. I wanted something "Tough" and this camera was the ticket. ;-)

Seem to be a good series of cameras.