Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a LAW vise for rotary tying and a Dyna King Supreme Saltwater vise fitted with custom small jaws for tying trout flys. While I love my LAW, most of my tying is on the Dyna King. There is nothing like resting your left hand (for right-handed tiers) on the long shaft on the Dyna King Supreme Saltwater edition. I could tie on that sucker all day. Both are made with the highest quality materials and to exacting tolerances.

Update:

I just got the HMH Standard vise today and I must say it is an excellant vise. I also got the micro jaws for the small stuff. It looks like the quality is up to par with my Dyna-King FC Enhanced which I use for my bass flies. I would highly recommend this vise !!!!!! :thumbup:

Randy

I have a LAW vise for rotary tying and a Dyna King Supreme Saltwater vise fitted with custom small jaws for tying trout flys. While I love my LAW, most of my tying is on the Dyna King. There is nothing like resting your left hand (for right-handed tiers) on the long shaft on the Dyna King Supreme Saltwater edition. I could tie on that sucker all day.

salmo22,

Your comment interests me. One of the design criteria for the LAW was to provide a comfortable resting place for the 'off' hand. Where do you find the DK design offers better comfort?

Thanks,

Hans W

I'm using a terra roteray vise as I can't justify the cost of anything more expensive. Only had it a few months as its an upgrade from the vise that came in my 1st tying kit.

There are many good vices on the market. Most are good,some are brilliant and I have either owned or tried most of them.

I do feel ,however, that there is something indefinably right about the Law bench vice. It may be the fact that it is so obviously hand made and beautifully designed. It is like owning a Jaguar and then aquiring an Aston Martin.Both do the job and both are desirable but the Aston has that extra something. So has the Law!

I'm a Thompson A Alumni also & I used that for quite a few years & then passed it on to my son. I tried the cheap regal lookalike ( INEX) & used that a few years. I then tried Griffen rotary & used that for a few years. A buddy was selling his Nor-Vise & I picked it up for a good price but I only can use it for streamers & large flies so it sits on the table next to my new vise. We were at a dinner before Christmas & my wife overheard me talking about Renzetti vises. She went to Effingers & they sold her the beauty pictured below. It's almost too pretty to tie on. I put plastic on the pedestal to keep glue & stuff off it. I still have to get to Effingers to thank the salesman.......

Of course me tying on this vise is like putting Scotch in a hot water bottle.

post-18568-1232410781_thumb.jpg

I have two really junky vises from Gander Mountain. :crying: The first vise only holds size 6 hooks and up. :crying:

I'm going to get a Spider vise though :headbang:

But with those two vises I got what I paid for.

I use two vises .A LAW travlers a "super vise" and a Price Vise my "personal favorite". They both tie the same range of hooks 7/0-28 or small as I like, and both are great and hold hooks tight. I use the Price more often . Very simple.

post-19724-1234925957_thumb.jpg

Renzeti Traveler for me - for the last 10 years. Started on an old Thompson C, then tied for the next 38 years on a several Thompson A's. Tied a gazillion flies on those old vises. The Renzeti does everything I need it to these days, though I do admire some of the fancier vises from time to time.

z~

I use a vise i made myself. It is an Abel style with a cam jaw. I have a Montane mongoose but do not like the drag it has in the rotary function due to the nylon bearings. My vise has stainles ball bearings, pluss when I add the counter balance attatchment to the vise it has litterally no drag at all. Is the smoothest vise I have ever used.

I love my Renzetti Master,good as new after 10 years and some thousand flies later :-)

Keep Tying

Regards

Larsa

I just got a Danvise a few weeks ago. After using several elcheepos for two years I decided to spend a little extra this time since I have given Fly Tying a try and have found that I really enjoy it.

So far I am very happy with my new Danvise. The Jaws seem to hold any size hook very well and I havent had a hook come loose on me yet.