Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've used a Peak rotating vise with pedestal for two weeks now. For years I used a $20 cheapo vise made in Pakistan.

post-21252-1269014645_thumb.jpg

I went from a Cabela's master vise to a Renzetti Traveller. Huge difference in quality of my flies. After watching a few hundred hours of Fly Tying the Angler's Art with Leroy Hyatt, I have become interested in Dyna King. The Dyna King is a heavy workhorse of a vise and I like that. Maybe next year I will pick one up and use my Renzetti for a back up. I have to convince myself that I need another vice and distract my girlfriend when I bring it in the house!

Now i use a Peak but i was tyig for a long time with an "INDIA" $20 vise.

I´m happy now but i miss my INDIA

Regal rotary for most flies.

Renzetti Traveler/Clouser arm

Thompson Pro/midge & saltwater jaws

Sunrise cheapos in travel kits

I have been using the Renzetti Traveler for over 18 years now, and it's still going strong.

alto

WOW 39 pages, interesting to say the least(peoples opinions are eye opening).. First, cannot beleive the handful of people with big negatives on renzetti. The only vise I would say I really don't like is the danvise, apoligies to danvise lovers. People really are brand loyal. I cannot beleive that peak is not on the top ten, if I had it to do over I would own a peak and I am sure I will someday soon. I have tried a dozen vises but only own 2 , a regal and a renzetti.That being said I like that I can turn the fly every which way while tying, however I do not use the renzetti's rotary function to the fullest. I find hand wrapping more to my liking as the thread on the bobbin holder gets all plooey when wrapping floss or hackle or whatever. Just not coordinated in this area. thanks for listening.. 1PEAK 2REGAL 3RENZETTI..

I've been using a Renzetti vise for about 17 years now (the double screw setup). It holds #28-3/0 hooks today ( 20k + flies) as it did when I first bought it. For very large flies I use a collet jaw vice that came in a bass fly tying kit when I was a kid not fond of it but I tie few flies that i need that large of a hook.

Like most from my generation I started with the Thompson A back in the late 60's and used it for 25+ years thinking it works so why change. Bought a Renzetti Traveler about 15 years ago thinking I would use it only as a travel vise and would upgrade to one of their other models for the bench, WRONG! I have used only the Traveler since I bought it and have never looked back. The Thompson went to the nephew and he still has it. I just got one of the Travelers for my son-in-law for his graduation from medical school. I must admit, I think I like the cam on his better than my old screw knob but what the heck, it still works fine!

I have a Rensetti Traveler pedestal that I use at home. The jaws do appear a bit weak but have held up over a year. I use the old cam jaw vice when I'm doing quick demonstrations at state parks, festivals, and so on (as part of Leave No Trace presentations). I'm getting to the point where I don't like the cheap vise at all.

I basically use a vise just like this, but on a pedestal. I bought it from a guy that was getting rid of all of his stuff.

ff104.jpg

Soon, VERY soon I will be tying on one of these. Should be here Tuesday! :headbang:

nor-vise%20_small.jpg

I recently got a Regal Medallion after 35 years of tying on a Thompson Model A. I love my new vise - it has made tying a lot more fun. :yahoo:

I have a Herter's #11, can you tell me when it was made?

There have been some posts recently from newbies asking for advice about vises. So, I thought it would be a good time to get everybody's 2 cents worth and proved some information for them.

I have been through 8 or 9 different vises since I started tying, and until now haven't been really happy with any of them. It's still early in our relationship, but it appears I will be happy with my latest vise but that could change, I am kind of fickled.

It's funny how some tyers can be chauvanistic and defensive about thier vises, so in this poll I would like to hear what you like best and least about your vise. And don't tell me you vise is perfect, none of them are.

I started with a Thompson "A" and now I'm using an HMH. I've run the gambit through Renzetti, D-K, Thompson and a few others and I have found that in my case, a rotary vise isn't an advantage for me. I prefer a more linear fixed platform to tie from. Also, the design of the rotary arm seemed to always be in the way, tying Clousers on one is awkward.

I prefer cam-lock jaws but Dyna-King's jaws are a little too efficient, I've lost count on how many hooks I have crushed in them. The old Renzetti jaws with the cheezy rubber band on them are crap and were the reason I got rid of mine. I'm not using my Cobra anymore because of the jaws and the rotary arm (two strikes) although it is a very good vise for small flies.

So far I'm happy with the HMH, although I would prefer the Magnum jaws not have grooves machined into them, it isn't good for japanned salmon fly hooks.