Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I basically use a vise just like this, but on a pedestal. I bought it from a guy that was getting rid of all of his stuff.

ff104.jpg

Soon, VERY soon I will be tying on one of these. Should be here Tuesday! :headbang:

nor-vise%20_small.jpg

Take your time and learn the ins and outs of the Nor-vise, the web site and you-tube vids are great, play with the different steps and procedures until you have them down pat and you will be amazed at what you can accomplish with this vise...

Hi I'm a beginner tyer( 2 years) from Norway and I use the HMH silhouette, but after seeing some rotation techniques, I decided I had to get a nor-vise wich is in the mail as we speak! :headbang:

It's not available in Norway so I got in touch with mr. Norlander. After having seen the video's I'm really excited to try it myself. It looks like a lot of fun.

By the way, does anybody know the measurements for the mounting board for the nor-vise?

Greetz from Oslo, PT

Hi I'm a beginner tyer( 2 years) from Norway and I use the HMH silhouette, but after seeing some rotation techniques, I decided I had to get a nor-vise wich is in the mail as we speak! :headbang:

It's not available in Norway so I got in touch with mr. Norlander. After having seen the video's I'm really excited to try it myself. It looks like a lot of fun.

By the way, does anybody know the measurements for the mounting board for the nor-vise?

Greetz from Oslo, PT

I am sure it is about 14inches, but you will get directions with the vise.

14 in is the distance or slightly less for the auto bobbin retracting so it all works out and with each other..

My fly vice is a 17.94$ imported vice of unknown branding. Its served me well, and eventually I'll upgrade but first I must upgrade my rod and reel.

Jim

I use the Renzetti Traveler with the pedestal base. I also have a Griffin 1A w/pedestal and I use the C-clamp that came with the Griffin with both vices when needed. I plan to upgrade the Renzetti and use the traveler when teaching or when I'm away from the office.

I have the DanVise and a Superior AA (bought it used with a table and a bunch of material). I bought the DanVise cause I wanted a true rotary and I have a read a lot of reviews on the DanVise and most were stellar only some were bad and they were about the jaws but with a 10:1 ratio it is no wonder they break if your not carful. Eventually I really want to get a NorVise but it is just too pricey right now.

There have been some posts recently from newbies asking for advice about vises. So, I thought it would be a good time to get everybody's 2 cents worth and proved some information for them.

I have been through 8 or 9 different vises since I started tying, and until now haven't been really happy with any of them. It's still early in our relationship, but it appears I will be happy with my latest vise but that could change, I am kind of fickled.

It's funny how some tyers can be chauvanistic and defensive about thier vises, so in this poll I would like to hear what you like best and least about your vise. And don't tell me you vise is perfect, none of them are.

I started with a Thompson "A" and now I'm using an HMH. I've run the gambit through Renzetti, D-K, Thompson and a few others and I have found that in my case, a rotary vise isn't an advantage for me. I prefer a more linear fixed platform to tie from. Also, the design of the rotary arm seemed to always be in the way, tying Clousers on one is awkward.

I prefer cam-lock jaws but Dyna-King's jaws are a little too efficient, I've lost count on how many hooks I have crushed in them. The old Renzetti jaws with the cheezy rubber band on them are crap and were the reason I got rid of mine. I'm not using my Cobra anymore because of the jaws and the rotary arm (two strikes) although it is a very good vise for small flies.

So far I'm happy with the HMH, although I would prefer the Magnum jaws not have grooves machined into them, it isn't good for japanned salmon fly hooks.

Hi,

I am sort of a collector

I have the LAW, Renzetti Master, Dyna King Sidewinder, Mathias, DynaKing Supreme, etc, etc

Right now I am tying on the Jvice. For the cost, it may be the most practical. It is a very nice vise system. I rarely use my LAW as it is sort of a beautiful sculpture!! It is probably the highest quality of all

But for day in day out Im using the jvice (yes, with a "c")

Please google his site. You will be impressed. He is in South Africa

Thanks for allowing me to rant

I first started tying with a Fireside wooden tying kit which came with an assortment of tools and very cheap vise for about $40. It actually wasn't that bad at first, but the poor quality metal in the jaws eventually wore out, so it would barely hold a #18 or 20 hook. The jaws were also a little large and sharp at the end and would constantly fray or break my thread.

I now tie with the Renzetti Traveler and I am perfectly happy with it. I was a little suspicious of the rubber o-ring which opens the jaws, but it hasn't caused me any trouble so far and being so simple it would be very cheap to replace if it ever broke. My only minor complaint about the Traveler is the number of knobs that adjust tension on the different parts of the vise. It took me a while to properly adjust everything so things wouldn't come loose as I tied. Other than that, I love the quality of this vise for the relatively modest price of $150.

Today a package from England was delivered to my place of employment. Addressed to me it was.

The return address was for a Lawrence Waldron.

:yahoo:

I use the renzetti traveler for my main vise. I only tie small (size 14 is the biggest) and i never have had a problem with my vise, mostly just my eyes and fingers. Ive been tying for about a year and a half, so far the vise has been great. I rarely use the rotary. My buddy has a norvise and i cant imagine having to use it all the time. I guess i can see if you tie commercially and are a fly tying badass then its probably great but for me, basically a new guy (1.5 years as i said) it is way to much.

I started out with a cheapie from a kit,then went to a Thompson that I used for years. Last year my old girlfriend bought me an Apex Anvil . Other than a small hook jumpimg out and the vise reminding me of all the drama she put me through it's been a good vise . I would like to try a rotary vise sometime.I too can't see 300.00 for a vise .