Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Today a package from England was delivered to my place of employment. Addressed to me it was.

The retrun address was for a Lawrence Waldron.

:yahoo:

Can you give me a ballpark figure on how much the LAW vices are costing now? I'm very interested in getting one.

Thanks.

Today a package from England was delivered to my place of employment. Addressed to me it was.

The return address was for a Lawrence Waldron.

Can you give me a ballpark figure on how much the LAW vices are costing now? I'm very interested in getting one.

Thanks.

£400, but I've been told that Lawrie is not making them for the time being.

I have a Danvise and a Renzetti 4000. Stellar performance from both. The Danvise was better for me after getting the extension arm. That plus I just replaced the jaws in the Danvise (not expensive) which put the performance right back up with the high end vises.

I voted dyna king, while I also have a renzetti traveller, but it's more like I had a renzetti.

The dynaking is perfect for streamers, and spinning deerhair (professional)

I didn't notice this topic Until now that I'm looking for a new vice for the smaller flies.

One thing for sure is that I won't buy a renzetti again.

I'm thinking of a rotary regal, or a HMH sparton, any thoughts :unsure:

The retrun address was for a Lawrence Waldron.

Thanks.

I decided on the Dyna King Barracuda. I won a $200 gift certificate at the WNC Fly fishing expo and found a shop in Asheville that could order one for me. Still waiting on it to arrive. I have a Renzetti Traveler as well. I think I will keep the Renzetti for tying midges and use the Dyna King for everything else. I've always wanted a Dyna King but $379 was out of my price range at the time I bought the Renzetti.

I started out on a J Stockard vise which served me well for the price and came with a solid set of starter tools. This summer it became apparent that tying was more than just a passing thing and I invested in the Peak rotary. I absolutely love it. I just ordered the midge jaws to support my forays into smaller sizes, though I've been tying down to #20 on the standard jaws without any significant issues.

First I'd like to say congrats on the 6 year old thread. I'v never seen a forum topic go this long.

Second I'd like to say hello to every one here.

Now on with the bussines at hand.

My vice is a uber cheap, craptacular Crystal River brand starter kit vise. But it works. I wish it had rotary but I manage without it. It will hold Hooks from 2/0 Salmon down to size 14 dry. It hase a turn down clasp which has a adjustable leaver (you take it out of one hole and put it in another). I did upgrade it a little by getting a pedistal base (highly recomended) that I love having. When I do upgade the vise I'm not sure what I'm gonna get. All I know is I want a rotary vice since I do alot of clousers and buggers.

Thanks

P4140769.jpg

travel version...

light, strong, effective, rotary, gets better with age like a good pair of shoes...

Thanks.

I paid about 700 US for mine. Unfortunately, I hear he may be retiring. Better get in contact right a way if you want one.

The one I saw pictured here is the travel version. Mine is the standard and allows a lot more room between the stem and the jaws.

They are a thing of beauty.

If interested, you can contact him through a google search on "LAW Vise" or contact Hans Weilenmann at "Fly Tiers Page". He helped with the design specifications, I believe.

P3040580.jpg

P3050603.jpg

It's a kinetic sculpture kind'a vise vice thing... 'looks great and ties even better...

I'm a Regal Snob, its the only brand I'll use. I've got an 25 yr old old Regal Medallion that I love, I just bought a Regal Revolution which is a great vise but I'm still tying on the Medallion. As far as why I like a Regal, if you've got one no explanation is needed, if you don't you won't understand.

Interesting how many people chose 'other'. I used a Thompson A vise for 20 years (being a cheapskate) and now use it for my travel vise. I recently bought a DanVise and really like the rotary feature (and price). So, while I don't have a lot to compare it to, I feel the DanVise is well made, simple, has nice features, and for someone choosing a first or second vise - the price makes it such that you can spend your money on materials rather than the tool.

I am 13 years old and I like to use the Regal because it is good for holding the hook in place before hand I used an olympic and had lots of trouble with it espically with the rotary arm. So I knew it was time to upgrade

I voted dyna king, while I also have a renzetti traveller, but it's more like I had a renzetti.

The dynaking is perfect for streamers, and spinning deerhair (professional)

I didn't notice this topic Until now that I'm looking for a new vice for the smaller flies.

One thing for sure is that I won't buy a renzetti again.

I'm thinking of a rotary regal, or a HMH sparton, any thoughts :unsure:

Ask day5 if you have any questions about the HMH's .. He seems to know everything!