Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been using a Danvise, for the last 7 years or so. Reasonably priced, around $80. It's a true rotary, and I've tied flies on ranging from size 32 up to 5/0. Not very pretty, but it does it's job.

When I was in the market for a new vise, my good friend, Chris Helm introduced me to Ron Abbey (Dyna King), the Barracuda Indexor was new. After looking at it I asked Ron if he could make 4 more detents on the shaft then the 4 that were on the original, he agreed to do so for me. THis same vise became his production model in a few short months.

I still tie on that vise, it's the only brand of vise I have never broken! I tie about 15 to 20 thousand flies per year, mostly Smallmouth Bass and Musky flies on size 4 through 6/0 hooks, yet the jaws will still hold a size 20 hook with no problems. If I can't break it, probably no one will!

It's not the least expensive vise on the block, but I think it's the best for a reasonable price - considering what you get.

I have been using a Cabelas kit vise for the last 2 years. The jaws are so soft the hooks can dent them. I mostly tie larger flies for small mouth. I will be upgrading to a Dyna-King this week. Not sure if I am going to get the Trekker or the Baracuda.

I have been using a Cabelas kit vise for the last 2 years. The jaws are so soft the hooks can dent them. I mostly tie larger flies for small mouth. I will be upgrading to a Dyna-King this week. Not sure if I am going to get the Trekker or the Baracuda.

Get the Barracuda. Keep the Cabela's as a travel vise if you need one. I got a Barracuda a few months ago to compliment/replace my Renzetti Traveler. The Barracuda is a serious piece of machinery and the base weighs 6 pounds. Very solid and a joy to tie on. Renzettis are nice but I now prefer Dyna King.

I had a really cheapo vise but got a regal medallion and a griffin 2a off eBay in a package deal. I use mostly the regal. I love the speed and power of the spring loaded jaws. Hooks will bend before they move. No adjustments just squeeze the lever and pop the hook in and start tying.

Im still relativly new to fly tying. i have been tying for almost 2 years now and im constantly learning new patterns and techniques. I started out with a very cheap vise that came with the kit i bought from gander mountain. it worked alright for what i was tying, mainly steelhead flies like crystal meth and sucker spawns but it would never lock the hook in completly and alot of times no matter how tight i set it the hook would occasionally slip. Last summer i decided to upgrade and i went with a griffin spyder odessy vise. Its by no means a top of the line vise but it has worked well for me. It is a rotary vise and that alone opened up some areas of fly tying that i had previously been unaware of. It holds the hooks very well and im very happy with it but it also has some flaws. Having somewhat large hands i find it can "cramp" my fingers when im tying materials on the bend of the hook since the design of the vise comes out from the post drops down and has about a 45 degree angle back up. it took some getting used to but im getting better at it and im sure that in a couple of years i will be upgrading again.

It's a kinetic sculpture kind'a vise vice thing... 'looks great and ties even better...

Hey Pete.

I've had one for about a year now after going through Dyna King, Renzetti, HMH, etc., there's absolutely nothing like it. It's not about snob appeal, etc. It's just a wonderful tool and does it's job perfectly. Nothing more, nothing less. I tie at shows and demos in the north east and would not want to be without it.

To the best of my knowledge, they are not currently being offered for sale by Lawrie. There are a few knockoffs surfacing that seem to be getting decent feedback but the Law Vise itself seems to be done.

Bruce C

I started out tying with a cheap vise and moved up to a renezetti and used it for a while and now I am thinking about switching to a dyna king baraccuds vise. I tie a lot of deer hair flies and in my opinion the dyna king would work better for me. My 2 cents

The LAW vise is now being made entirely of the rare lust free alloy UNOBTAINIUM...

Would'a... Could'a... Should'a...

P3020579.jpg

P3050598.jpg

P3040580.jpg

P3050603.jpg

P3070610.jpg

Snooooze = Looooze...

inthemeantime...

if you're Jones'n for a world class piece of work... check out das J-Vise...

visit the site and let Jay Smit know what you've got in mind...

NO worries... NO regretz!

P7281330.jpg

IMG_7944.jpg

KINETIC POETRY in MOTION...

Could hold a hook, but seemed like a cheap pot metal vise. Light is great, but guess I have too much testoterone (insert grunts here lol). The only problem with norvise at the time was that they'd slip on big fly hooks (which is what most of my customers order here). Luckily, the jaws were corrected. Love the more machined products, and in end will have a bit of everything. LOL. Have the dynaking barracuda for my main vise. Going to buy the junior trekker for my travel vise (is very light and still a machined vise). Awaiting my HMH tube fly vise (I feel it's the best on the market if you want a vise just for tubes, way better then the renzetti). Also will be getting a norvise too. Especially for big orders, this baby truly shines. Plus, never hurts to have too many vises. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

website promotion

I've given the Law vise a good work out and I've come to the following conclusion: it's not only the finest vise I've ever used, it's the nicest thing I've ever owned. To say I love it would be understatement.