Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had taken several fly tying classes way back & afterward I did some on-line research.

When I had finished my research I purchased a Peak Vise. My classes had strickly Renzetti

vises which were awesome, but $$$ was a factor in my research. I can tie anything on my

Peak & would recommend one to anyone.

Tier Gone Mad--------------------------<*))))))))))><

Started tying a couple of years ago with a cheap vise from a kit, but upgraded last year to an Atlas Anvil. Been more than pleased with this vise, tying down to size 22's with no problem.

I replaced my old renzetti traveler with a renzetti master vice last year. My traveler is just archaic enough to have the twist knob to tighten the jaws. That twist knob almost sent me to either prison or the psych unit. Trying to tie on big hooks without a cam tightening device will make lava pour out of your ears. The cost of my new vice was stupid. Sorry Renzetti, I use you, I love you but do your margins really have to be that high? If you tie daily like I do you can justify the purchase if not, I would go a different route. The master does have a hook range from a 28 to a 10/0.

Jack, drop the cam arm straight down them turn the arm screw until the hook is snug, when you shift the cam arm toward the vertical post that holds the vise head it will be completely out of your way. Let me know if a pic would help clarify my poor explanation.

I use a Regal vice. It is very simple and effective. Just like the flies I like to tie. I use this brand because a very nice friend of mine gave it to me as a gift...so there you have it. It is not good for anything smaller than a 22, you would need to buy a separate set of jaws.

Dyna King Pro. What's not to like about it? The simplicity of it is remarkable and allows you to just get down to tying. No tension knobs, no rotary arms, no bells and whistles. Best $300 I've ever spent.

The Anvil Atlas or the Peak are the only ones I would consider. Both sell for about $150 and offer the best bang for the buck.

Just getting back into tying again and using my old Universal Rotary. I loved it back in the day. Still a great vise. There are a lot of cool new gadgets out there now though.

I tie with a JVice. Hand made and machined, simply cannot be beat. And compared to alot of these under featured vises, well worth the money. Plus top notch accessories. I had a Regal, it is too clunky. I did some research and came across this unknown company with some well known names in the industry saying high praise, I figured it was over hyped, it is far from it.