Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Started with a cheap kit vise years ago, now use a Peak as my home production unit and a Renzetti traveler on the road. The Peak is well made.

I use a Dyna King Barracuda and like it better than any vise I've tied on at fly shops, fly shows, and friends. However, If I didn't have it my next choice would be a Nor vise. My third choice would be the HMH. An expensive vise is not always the best choice and the Law vise is an example. It cost much more than the Barracuda but isn't as strong and the wheel jaw adjustment doesn't clamp tight. I backed off and retightened and it was better. If you tie little flies it is okay but it is the most beautiful vise on the market. Kinda grabs you inside just to look at it.

What do u guys like for a starter vice.. think the ones in the kits are prertt cheap if u ask me. Lol

Maybe you could buy afterhours' back up Regal Medallion. Shame to think a great vise like that is gathering dust. wink.png I have been tying on mine for three years now and like it just as much as the day I got it. Strong, simple and holds hooks from 2/0 to 22 all day long.

I use a Thompson Cobra as my primary vice. I still have my Herter's vice my wife purchased for me 38 years ago. It is my back up vice and still a work horse.

Ive also used a Danvise for about 5 years. I replaced the jaws once and got the jaw extention also. It has worked great and so far I havent seen the need to upgrade.

I recently was given a J-Vice for my 30th birthday. Life changing. They're beautifully made and are "buy forever" products. They have an array of attachments and gadgets.

www.jvice.com

jvice_495_red_oak.jpg

started with a Dyna King, very happy with it (sold it since). I now have Renzetti Traveler rotary, pedestal mounted. I love it, have had it for 10 years and don't see changing.

I'm not defensive about any of my tying stuff. The only ethos I practice religiously is that I insist that I fish with my own tied flys. That's kind of the point of all this after all.

My tying personality is a "scrounger." At first, I ran out and bought any new material that came on market, and followed patterns assiduously. I think it was necessary to develop some skill. Now, I have so much accumulated material, I focus on seeing what I can do with what I have. Kind of a dumpster diver with my tying anymore (the dumpster, of course, being my bench and drawers full of legacy stuff ...). I really enjoy that.

Love a rotary vise.

Did anyone get the orvis fly tying kits? How did u like it and how was the vise in it? Anybody use it?

I got one a long time ago. Practically useless for anything below a size 10. The vise was a Thompson. Enough said. The only thing I have left of the kit is a hair stacker and a half-hitch tool. The necks with the kit are Chinese or Indian necks.

You can do a lot better than a kit by buying individually.

Did anyone get the orvis fly tying kits? How did u like it and how was the vise in it? Anybody use it?

I got one a long time ago. Practically useless for anything below a size 10. The vise was a Thompson. Enough said.

Not to quibble, but it was probably a Thompson knockoff, or maybe the quality of Thompson really dropped off in later years. I have several Thompson's in my collection including the A, B, and F models and their hook holding ability down to #24 is amazing. The only reason I bring this up is that a $5-10 1940s Thompson off eBay is a great beginners vice.

Mike.

That was before they had knock-offs. A long time ago. And, I'm pretty sure the vise came in a box. A Thompson A vise, I believe.

Good enough vise. It will certainly do, but I upgraded pretty soon after the disappointment of the kit. I can say with pretty much conviction that I learned nothing from that Orvis kit.

I certainly agree about the old D H Thompson vises made in Elgin IL. Can't really say the same about the current production. The current company doesn't specify where their vises are made, which leads me to suspect they are imported, which makes them a clone in my view.

I till have my original 2 Thompson vises, and they both still hold hooks just fine. Both are more than 40 years old. I no longer use either, but my niece, nephew, and brother still use them.