Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good morning gentlemen! I have read the above comments and find all very interesting. The first vise I started using came with a Herter's kit purchased by my wife, as a Christmas gift, thirty-nine years ago. It looks to be a Thompson Model A. I still have it and it works wonderfully. I plan on passing on it to one of my grand children. I currently use a Thompson Cobra rotary vise. I purchased it in 2003. It continues to meet my tying needs. When I purchased the vise, I spoke with the company project engineer. It sounds as if out sourcing was the direction chosen by the owners. Too bad, if that's the direction taken. As my grandchildren age and show an interest "Flying ties", I my have to acquire another vise. I may go the HMH route. Tight lines to you all.

I've had the Crown vise for several years and just started tying again. Going to the fly shop tomorrow, so I told the finance department I thought I'd upgrade my vise. She didn't actually say "No", so hopefully i'll be the proud owner of a new Peak tomorrow.

A quick add on question:

What's the general consensus here, pedestal or C-clamp? I'm sure it's like everything else, personal preference, just curious what most folks have.

Most of my vises have had pedestal bases. There isn't a table or other flat surface you can't set a pedestal base on and tie. There will be times when you may find a C clamp mount won't fit the surface you want to use. Forrest service tables are much too thick for most C Clamps, and any kind of table with a round or extended edge can pose a problem for a C clamp mount.

I still have one vise (rarely used,) that has a C Clamp, and a couple of travel vises that have screw in adapters which fit in my travel boxes.

The main drawback to a pedestal base, is that some may not be heavy enough for some tying operations like spinning deer hair. A pedestal could be clamped down if necessary.

i started with a dynaking squires vise that my dads freind gave me i just got a trekker today love it

Wow,nice Christmas!

A quick add on question: What's the general consensus here, pedestal or C-clamp? I'm sure it's like everything else, personal preference, just curious what most folks have.

I like the option of a C clamp, and generally buy one if it doesn't come with a C clamp and a pedestal. I can't seem to satisfy myself on which is best, but if I could only have one, it would be the pedestal. A C clamp will allow you to mount the vise lower, if that's what you want to do. At least that's been my experience.

I just bought a C clamp for $8 off Ebay. If you ever buy a cheap C clamp, you may have to true the flat with a file so you can torque it down. If it's a little off square, or if your table is a little off square, you'll have a time tightening it up.

A quick add on question: What's the general consensus here, pedestal or C-clamp? I'm sure it's like everything else, personal preference, just curious what most folks have.

I have and use both. As mentioned by Gene, one of the advantages enjoyed with most clamps is the ability to raise and lower the vise a little or a lot. But the Peak clamp is a different design than other clamps and thus doesn't offer this option, i.e., you tie at a fixed height determined by the length of the upright.

Thanks for the help guys. I went and got the peak pedestal version today, got it home and opened the box....missing parts packet to put it together.

They assured me it was to be mailed out today so maybe I'll get it tomorrow.

Hi, just got a Griffin spyder, never used a rotary before, one thing I don't like is the vise screw is not lever operated it is thumb tightened. But I like this vise much better than my other and can trust this one to last

Griffin does make the Cam Jaw for that vise. It would be interchangeable with the one you have.

Got the parts packet for my Peak yesterday. I really like it so far, tied about a dozen simple midges last night. Have a C-clamp from my old vise that I think I can use for this one when needed.