Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Mike West said:

Dyna-King Professional

Same here. Great vise. 

On 5/11/2020 at 7:31 PM, Mike West said:

Dyna-King Professional

16 hours ago, Sandan said:

Same here. Great vise. 

Fantastic, incredible standard jaws with an amazing hook range... The DK Pro is everything I want and nothing I don't need; and nothing about it gets in the way.

7 hours ago, thomasw_ said:

Fantastic, incredible standard jaws with an amazing hook range... The DK Pro is everything I want and nothing I don't need; and nothing about it gets in the way.

And amazing hook holding properties too.  It's the last vise I'll ever need. I picked up a set of midge jaws for it. Even though the standard jaws go pretty small, when tying 18s and smaller, the midge jaws really give you quite a bit of extra room to work.  

Sandan, I was looking to buy the midge jaws for my Pro. I phoned Charlie Craven at his shop and he convinced me that, as I tie size 30 to 12 for the most part, rarely 10 to 2/0; I would be smart to try before I buy -- he found the midge jaws only useful for some hook shapes and that the standard jaws did it all for him. Hearing this from you, I am now going to try the midge jaws for myself; I do tie many small size 20-30 flies but I find the standard jaws work "fine". By using the upper serrated range the standard jaws give me OK working room with small midge and mayfly patterns. But I would always like a bit more... So thanks for putting me on to this idea again...especially now as my aging hands and eyes would like more space to see and work!

20 hours ago, thomasw_ said:

Sandan, I was looking to buy the midge jaws for my Pro. I phoned Charlie Craven at his shop and he convinced me that, as I tie size 30 to 12 for the most part, rarely 10 to 2/0; I would be smart to try before I buy -- he found the midge jaws only useful for some hook shapes and that the standard jaws did it all for him. Hearing this from you, I am now going to try the midge jaws for myself; I do tie many small size 20-30 flies but I find the standard jaws work "fine". By using the upper serrated range the standard jaws give me OK working room with small midge and mayfly patterns. But I would always like a bit more... So thanks for putting me on to this idea again...especially now as my aging hands and eyes would like more space to see and work!

The standard jaws as Charlie says do "do it all".  My ageing eyes and hands were the reason I got the midge jaws. I find that I use them pretty much for 18's and smaller.  I have an old set of them, they slip a bit after 1000s of flies, but if you want to try 'em shoot me a pm and I'll send 'em to you.

I use mainly my Dyna-King Trekker.

I do have an HMH C-clamp vice that I use to hold flies while head cement or superglue sets. The Tera copy of a Regal and an El-Cheapo Orvis kit vise gather dust.

I just have a little cheapo rig that came with a fly tying kit.    However,   I have made a lot of flies with it.    It has been fine to learn on.     Now my arthritis has reached the point that I can mo longer  perform the tasks needed.   I have a LOT of materials and tools I would like to sell as a unit.    If anyone is interested,  drop me a note for pics and a list.

I bought a Thompson Model A in 1965, and it sits on my bench today.

I bought an H L Leonard  vise in 1974. Try to find one of them.

Then I bought a DynaKing Traveller. Tried to tie one fly with it. The serrated jaws don’t suit me.

Then I got an HMH with lots of extras. Jury is still out on it, but it’s probably gone.

Meanwhile, I’m still using the Leonard.

What’s in the future, Norvise, JVice, or something different?

HMH Standard and old 2 screw Traveler. I do have all 3 jaws for the HMH.  Both are fine tools. 

vises.jpg.70f51e42cf9e37c0d9a737cb8b462539.jpg

Aside from early junk vises, I  have  tried and liked a Regal which I wore out over time; an HMH Spartan which was very good and robust;  and a Nor-Vise.  The progression has been towards a rotary function and a full range of jaw sizes/types.  The Nor-Vise filled all those needs but the fussiness of the spool filling and use became a pain.  I duck really high dollar gear and am now using a Peak with all the trimmings. I like it fine but find that changing hook sizes in the jaws requires more fiddling for a tight grip than I like.