Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been using a DanVise since Christmas and I couldn't be happier with it. It's cheap and holds a hook like a champ(I don't think I have had one hook slip). headbang.gif

I recently picked up a Dan vise as a back up and it holds hooks solidly. This is my first rotational vise, which I am not used to, and the jaws would wobble a little bit while I was pulling materials around the hook. I guess the lesson is don’t buy a rotational vise unless that’s the way you want to tie. I tried to tighten the mechanism to lock the vise and prevent any rotation, well the plastic inside snapped in half. I immediately stripped almost every part off the vise except for the jaws and metal center stem which now rests in a pedestal. Almost all of the plastic parts are gone, and a hole was drilled through the top for a set-screw which now prevents the jaws from rotating. Now I can use it.

Graham

QUOTE (JarrodRuggles @ Mar 17 2005, 08:12 PM)
lets just say that It doesn't hold hooks and leave it at that.

O yeah..theres also at least 3 grooves the size of the grand canyon down in it.

And of course.....

Every few months I have to file of the top part of the vise cause somehow a gigantic sharp clob of metal forms there...Dont ask.

Maybe you've got a a different vise then me.

hehe sounds like my old one.

I am so happy with my Dyna King Pro

Hey Mozes, Yes, I did recently but the vise from Smalliehunter. He read my post and sent a PM offering a refund. I really admire his integrity. That said, I think the Dan vise was a bargain, even as customized fixed non-rotational vise. I used to keep an old Regal in my tying travel kit, never did like it, and just replaced it with the Dan vise. I put the table clamp back on it this evening, and I’m keeping the vise just the way it is. It was a good enough bargain that I would buy one again if this one is ever lost.

Graham

I started on my Grandads (handed down) Thompson model A.

23 years and 3 sets of jaws later... I'm still tying on it smile.gif And I'm teaching my daughter to tie on it.

I might buy a Renzetti traveler (or comparable rotary) someday, but I really don't need it. The fact that I am still tying on that vise has become "a thing" now. Not sure I want to give that up.

graham, both my danvise don't move like you mentioned yours did, wonder if there was a problem inside when you bought it. i tighten my down a bit and it takes some effort to make it turn. i have to loosen it to rotate the vise. Bud

Have a Regal and just got a DK Trekker from H&H for $175 on sale in Feb. It takes a little getting use to the DK jaws but I like the vise very much. DK Trekker will be my primary vise. FishHawk biggrin.gif

When I was shopping for a new vise about 4 years ago, I thought for sure I would buy a Renzetti Traveller, since I had heard so many positive reports. I went to my preferred fly shop to purchase one, and I had some questions about the rotary function. So, one of the employees there set me down at a table to tie with one, so he could demonstrate. In the process, I realized I was too stuck to my old ways to make the adjustment to rotary tying.

So, I decided upon a conventional stationary vise, a Dyna King X-1, which has a "semi-rotary" function so I can view the opposite side of the fly. I have been very pleased with the vise, and have never second guessed my decision.

This is in no way a negative comment about the Renzetti Traveller. It's a proven, highly reliable vise. I belong to a fly tying club, and the Traveller is the most commonly used vise there. In my case I simply prefer standard, stationary tying.

If you have a good fly shop in your area, and are considering buying a new vise, then I think you would be well served to "sample" some vises by tying on them for a little while. You might find you like one above the others. In my case it made a big difference.

I use an Abel Supreme and I'm extremely happy with it. This is my 3rd vise (Regal as first and Dyna King Barracudda as my second) and it might be my last. I like the fact that the jaws are easier to use than the Dyna King's and better suited for my style of tying.

I use the Regal Bronze Base vice with both the standard head and the midge head (heads can be switched in less than a minute).

Why? Absolutely superb hook holding power, great craftsmanship and durability. But beyond all that, ZERO adjustments necessary - squeeze the lever and place the hook, same to remove.