Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,227 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use Dyna-King because... they are Sofa-King good. ;)

Used a pair of vise-grips for years. Told the guy that taught me how to tie that, if he ever got better at tying flies than me that I would spring for a better vise (than my locking pliers). I gave up waiting. He never got any better so, I just went ahead and bought the Dyna-King.

I can (and do) still tie flies on the pliers just, to stay in practice. Want to be able to tie flies wherever I go and EVERYBODY has a pair of vise-grips that I can borrow.

I've been tying for two years now and have been using Cabela's Master Vice, soon I'll need a rotary.

It's a real pain to tie Gotchas and some pike flies.

There have been some posts recently from newbies asking for advice about vises. So, I thought it would be a good time to get everybody's 2 cents worth and proved some information for them.

a Dan Vise for me after starting with an imported griffin-clone. The Dan Vise is well made, holds fast, works great, comes with great instructions (thanks Al), and is very affordable.

I love my Peak vice. I started on a Regal and have used various Renzettis, I like the Peak the best and it's made in America by Americans! I use the optional lamp and love that to.

Hello Troutbum

If you watch my last video, you will laugh from me.

For different reasons, after many years I have been delaying to buy a fly tying vise. Since I began to do my own flies and spoonflies, I was using a small Stanley Vise-bench. Given its strong grip, it is very useful when I have to tye big hooks such as 3/0, 4/0 ... but when I want to use something smaller, I have to be creative, especially when I need to rotate the hook to do some fly details.

Next November, I will travel to the US, and I want to buy my first vise. As I do in every trip to the US, I will go to Bassproshop. I was reviewing different brands and options they have in their web page, but I am not sure what to buy. I have read every comment posted to each one, but I am confused.

What would you recommend me to buy, if I need a vise to tye/use hooks from #8 or #10 to 4/0 or 7/0, and I tye up to four flies every weekend (when my wife/kids leave me some time for my own). Do you think that I can find a good brand between $50 to $80? or I am just dreaming, and my only option is to buy something around $400 or $600. I just want to find something "good pay for value".

If you give me your recommendation (brand/web page/tips for selection/etc.) I will be very happy.

Thank you for your time, regards, Jose Antonio

PS. This is a picture of my "Little Shrimp" (in german "Kleine Garnele"). I posted it in the forum with my fly tying video last week. If you want, you can take a look.

302022_10150424503736788_648356787_11010208_1959912644_n.jpg

There have been some posts recently from newbies asking for advice about vises. So, I thought it would be a good time to get everybody's 2 cents worth and proved some information for them.

I have been through 8 or 9 different vises since I started tying, and until now haven't been really happy with any of them. It's still early in our relationship, but it appears I will be happy with my latest vise but that could change, I am kind of fickled.

It's funny how some tyers can be chauvanistic and defensive about thier vises, so in this poll I would like to hear what you like best and least about your vise. And don't tell me you vise is perfect, none of them are.

I started with a Thompson "A" and now I'm using an HMH. I've run the gambit through Renzetti, D-K, Thompson and a few others and I have found that in my case, a rotary vise isn't an advantage for me. I prefer a more linear fixed platform to tie from. Also, the design of the rotary arm seemed to always be in the way, tying Clousers on one is awkward.

I prefer cam-lock jaws but Dyna-King's jaws are a little too efficient, I've lost count on how many hooks I have crushed in them. The old Renzetti jaws with the cheezy rubber band on them are crap and were the reason I got rid of mine. I'm not using my Cobra anymore because of the jaws and the rotary arm (two strikes) although it is a very good vise for small flies.

So far I'm happy with the HMH, although I would prefer the Magnum jaws not have grooves machined into them, it isn't good for japanned salmon fly hooks.

I tried to read through all of the posts from beginning to end but alas my eyes are not what they used to be. I am sure I have a post about using a Vosselar Vise in there somewhere. I am a bit fickle with rotary vises having not realized I needed one for many years until enough people I knew got one and I felt my life was unfulfilled without one myself. I had the Griffin Odyssey which worked great, looked a little like a refugee from a mechano box but I liked it. I sold it and bout a Vosselar but while it is a good vise the rotary feature is a bit cimbersome and I did not care for the small jaws for #14's on down. I sold that and now, since my fishing partner has one and I like the functionality and because the service I get from Norm is the best in the business ( I mean second to none, not that nobody else is as good) I own a Nor Vise. I built a base for it and will probably pick up the travel kit as well.

100_0017.jpg

I'm a new member. I've only been tying for about 6 months (give or take) but I've found a vise that works just right for me. I wanted a vise that looked like it would last but not cost an arm and a leg. I chose a Peak Non-rotary vise. It has a great set of jaws on it, it's small and portable, and I found it at an online fly shop(frontrangeangler) for under $90. My Dad bought the rotary version at Bass-Pro for $150, but he has found that he doesn't ever use the rotary option. I would recomend purchasing the rotary version if you are going to tye any saltwater flys. Once you start going to 5/0 hooks, the jaws become questionable. However I only tye size 10 and under, so this vise works perfect for what I tye and fish. If I were to ever upgrade, I would probably go to a HMH.

TMC Solid Vise:

post-35358-0-01878900-1319577110_thumb.jpg

Rotating jaws, adjustable jaw-axis-angle and a solid jaw grip at an affordable price. Just what I look for in a vise :)