Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Sep 13 2004, 02:30 PM)
SFK,

That sounds very interesting, you wouldn't happen to have a pic of that set up would ya? I would love to see that!

This is a shot of my bench from a while back...

user posted image

Here is my vise when it was still a manual version. The auto version has another pully and it goes through the table now..

user posted image

Thanks for asking about it. I like it alot.

I started out with the vise that came with my kit from EJHille and switched to the Thompson A as well. I tied with that for years. I finally decided after watching an old guy tie on a Renzetti in Brock's Fly Shop in Bishop California that I really needed to get into rotary.

So about 5 years ago I bought the CAM jaw Renzetti Traveler and have been very happy with it.

However, I do agree that the rubber ring on the jaws is a little cheesy but I just went down to Lowe's and bought a package of plumbing o-rings that were the same size and I have plenty of spares when the next one "buys the farm".

SFK,

Man that thing is quite wicked.....very cool. I would have never even imagined coming up with a rig like that. wink.gif

I started with a couple of Griffin vises and they were just the ticket for a beginner trying to figure things out. I have tied with a D-K Barracuda for 5 years now and it works fine for me. I am an intermediate-level tyer and tie about 1000 flies a year, keep the local club stocked and give 'em away streamside.

The D-K is rock solid and the midge jaws handle hooks in the 12-26 range while leaving plenty of tying room. I, too, crushed a few hooks when I first started with the D-K, it took a while to learn to ease off the collet before locking the cam (flat learning curve...).

I used a Peak for a while - darn good vise for the money. Excellent. But I made the mistake of trying one of oyr Barracudas Sr.- Dyna King that is . It hasn't moved since. I really like it. It is some kind of machinery.

At $248 - that is a lot - but it is worth it for your life time. That is the Barracuda Sr.

RodC

The NorVise (and Nor-Bobbin) get my vote. Mr. Norlander's wonderful system is the heart and soul of my tying. I have two Nor-Vises, one of which is a dedicated wire-core dubbing 'station'.

Like many of you I started, not too long ago, with a Thompson 'A' vise and wore the cam out after a year of very heavy use.

For tube flies the HMH/Kennebeck River tube fly vise and/or the Premium tube fly tool is my workhorse.

I just purchased a PEAK vise. Very well built, well designed vise. I will report again after I have tied a few more flies on it.

john

cool.gif Hi guys, i didn't have time to read all the replies, but i've been through about 10 vises so far and never been totally happy with any of them. The most expensive one being the Dingo from Australia. I can't seem to ever get a hook in the thing that will NOT move to some degree or other. I've had three Renzetti Travlers, the third one because it had a cam lock instead of the twist knob. The screw in the vise jaws exploded on me one day when trying to get a 3/0 hook in the vise. Cabelas gave me a brand new set of jaws no questions asked. And i hadn't even bought it at Cabelas. Actually i won it in a silent auction at the FFF International Comclave in Idaho Falls, Idaho in 2003 where i was tying for the event. And on my way to Montana this year, for the same event in West Yellowstone, i stopped at Cabelas in Mitchell S.D. and they took care of it for me. I just showed them the busted jaw screw and they replaced the entire jaw set, including the arm, on the spot. I just had to leave the busted parts so they could send it back to Renzetti. Let's hear it for Cabelas. I'll tell you, my Regal knock off is just as good as any thing there is out there except for the fact that it's not rotary. And i can't stand not to be able to work on a fly upside down when nessessary, and not have it be "straight" in the vise. I knew i should of got a Law when i had the money to spend on the Dingo. Hindsight.......jeeze. The Law is my next vise purchase. I keep four vises on my tying table in order to one: have a place(s) for flies to dry, and two: so others can sit down and join in if they wish. I teach fly tying so i need plenty of vises/vices, lol. My wife (who's the captain of the Japanese National Fly Fishing Team (Team Japan) got us some vises from a company in Japan for free, which i like pretty well. The company's name is Arcatia, and they make a real nice vise. I may be bringing that one with me, (the big one) to do shows from now on. We have a bunch of the little ones (the Baby Travlers) for sale also. The "little guy" is really cool, sits on a tripod with rubber feet. Extremely light, yet stable. Packs up in about 15 seconds, or less. Well, if any of you will be attending the Danbury, Conn. show (The Arts of Angling Show/Sheraton Hotel) on Nov. 13th and 14th OR the International Fly Tying Symposium in Somerset, N.J. Nov. 20 and 21, i'll be tying at both. Hope to see you. mark.........

I use the Thomson Vision vise, and I love it...I also have the interchangeable jaw set which allows me to tie down to size 32, not that I would only saying I never had a problem with this vise and dependablility is a vital to me...Some vises you have to play with to make them work, and this vise lets me take control so I can just do my business and I don't have to play with it or make adjustments...

feathers

Hey Serial Fish Killer:

I noticed a few bullets on top of your vise, ummmm is that for the ones that don't measure up to your expections? You use them for target practice? hehehe

j_k.gif

feathers

Hey SFK, long time no post!

Nice looking vise! When you make mine make a verical plate that inserts where the jaws are and allow it it rotate slowly by itself for drying epoxy heads.

What IS the delivery time on something like that? wink.gif

I have made vices out of wood,vice grips ect.Right now I am using a cheap one from Wallmart.I have a few Thompson vices,I do not like them.I was just given an old rotational vice this summer that my freind bought at a yard sale.I have never used it.Buy the way if any one wants my Thompson vices I will give them to you,I think one of those is actulay a Sunrise.I am thinking that this winter will be a good time for a new one.