Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I learned to tie on a Anvil vise at our fly fishing club's fly tying class, but when it came to buying my own I bought the Peak rotary vise. I liked both and both are made in the USA.

I just got a D-K for myself for christmas 2012.. and so far it has been an awesome vise. I tied production on my regal medallion (indexing/rotary).. it worked well for years. I really like the gripping power of the D-K but its not all that diff. from the regal. The regal had simplicity built into it,, with one lever to pull, put the hook in and start tying. The D-K needs adjusting for any hook size change. I still like the true rotary of the dyna- king and maybe i like it a little more than my regal, but it might be because its my new toy. Also i have owned a "Nor-vise". I put quotations around it cause i feel like it might be the most over hyped high priced vise out there. The hub is always in the way for tails and if u tie on any curved shank hooks, out the window with the true rotary.

I will say that i will never get rid of my regal,, i have tied the paint off that thing.

Meat

My vises are all cheap Thompson AA knockoffs....junk but they will have to do for now. Someday I will get me a nicer one...maybe after I sell a couple more fly rods. I keep eyeballing the classifieds and trade forum here but so far the timing has not been right....sigh

I've had most of what is commercially available, but after a few years I have narrowed it down to three vises in all, namely the LAW, TMC and Regal. Should I choose only one vise it would be the LAW. No doubt. The TMC comes in at second place, and the Regal I never use, but I got as a gift for my 30th birthday, so I can't sell it ;-)

post-15183-0-59201800-1359816022_thumb.jpg

I recently bought a norvice, have'nt used it yet.Griffin cam patriot,just started using it.Griffin stopped making this vice.I have a anvil apex but its not holding hooks very good.The other day I put a 3407ssd 2/0 hook in the patriot and it flatted the finish on the hook.Thats another discussion.Is there any vise's with protective material on the jaws of vices.A lot of hooks today are'nt like they use to be. As far as the norvise I need more accessories.

I just bought my Regal and love it. It's a good simple design and seems bombproof. I'm fairly new and had one of those cheap AA vices. The Regal was a good upgrade for me and nicely priced.

Started with a Thompson A vise and tied on it for years. Once I finally got tired of hook slipping and or breaking breaking I bought a Regal Pedestal Vice with stainless jaws. I have loved it and have had no issues with it. Been an awesome vice for me.

Fav is a Dynaking Supreme with Regal base and custom shaft. Have tried the Nor Vise but it really changes the game. Have not spent enough time with it to give it a fair review. Some pretty neat "tricks" possible with it. Really eyeballing the DK 'Cuda.

I must say that after tying about 5 dozen flies through my new peak rotary vise, im truly glad i didnt spend 300 plus on a more expensive one. this little vise is great and it looks nice too. Definatly blows my two other cheapy cheaps out of the water.