Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi, I am a beginer and have a cheap vise, I started when I was in high school, had a pressed metakl clap vise that worked for a while. but I quit for other things, when I started again 13 years ago I got a Thompson A but when I had to quit fishing I got depressed and sold my stuff now I got the cheap thing but all it neads to do is hold the hook, I don't even think it has a name

I started with one from a kit...still fairly new at this but recently got a "Silverado" from Gander Mountain which is a rotary for under $40.

I tie my smaller stuff on an old Renzetti Presentation that was given to me. Probably would not buy the same vise with my own money, not a huge fan of the features. My larger flies get tied on a Dyna King Kingfisher. That little vise holds a hook very well.

Hi. I just the bought the Renzetti Master Deluxe fly vise. It is marvellous.

I also have the Renzetti Traveller and the Apex vise. Fill free to ask about the

vise. my email is techbts#hotmail.com

First vise was a Thompson A. First good vise was a Price Vise I paid around $90.00 in 1977. $90 in 1977 was a lot of money but the vise has performed flawlessly. I retired it in favor of a Renzetti traveler earlier this year. Happy with the Renzetti for smaller flies but yesterday I ordered a Regal to tie bass and saltwater flies. Didn't need to buy the Renzetti or the Regal as the Price Vise still does the job. Just felt like something new. Jim London

After using a very used Price vise for 20 years I have upgraded to a Nor Vise, it is a marvel of engineering and made in the USA. I think I am really going to like this vise.

Also the shop were I purchased it is giving me 5 lessons for free. I took lessons 25 years ago maybe its time to teach this old dog new tricks

Just added a Norvise to the arsenal. The vise is fantastic!

I just might end up selling or giving away my HMH Spartan, Dyna King Ron Abbey Signature, JVise w/ damasteel jaws, and, gasp, the Law.

Okay, I'm keeping the Law..

Just added a Norvise to the arsenal. The vise is fantastic!

I just might end up selling or giving away my HMH Spartan, Dyna King Ron Abbey Signature, JVise w/ damasteel jaws, and, gasp, the Law.

Okay, I'm keeping the Law. Who am I kidding, I'm keeping the Dyna King and the JVise too. The Spartan? I love that vise as well.

Just bought an anvil atlas and love it. It was a hard decision between the atlas and the peak. But the anvil claims hook sizes 7/0-32 on the same jaws and it came with a base and c clamp and all are guaranteed for life. Pretty smooth operation and built very well.

To get the stuff I wanted over the years for cheap, I’ve purchased a few private collections. So I was able to live with a couple dozen different vises and still have about half that many. The “decent” tools that I didn’t like included a Veniard (didn’t hold hooks all that well) and an Orvis (collet started to spread and split). Of the ones I’ve liked, I’ve probably tied more flies on my Leonard vise than all others combined. Not a great hook holder for anything but trout flies but I tend to tie tiny and it provides great access to the hook.

Sometime in the mid 1980’s, the local fly shop (Flyfisher’s Den in NJ) talked up Regal vises so I bought an Inex. With that one, I tied hundreds of flies in larger sizes. In the mid ‘90s, my lovely wife, who knows nothing about the craft, bought me the fancy Regal (maybe from Ramsey’s in NJ) with the heavy bronze base–my only pedestal ever. I sold the Inex to lady in my TU chapter. The new Regal did not quickly become my main vise–but hey, it’s the thought that counts.

In 1998, we moved to central PA (I was always coming out here to fish anyway). A couple of years after that, I thought that I might use the Regal more if I had the midge head. At Flyfisher’s Paradise, the only midge jaw they had was mounted on the medallion c-clamp model so they gave me the whole tool for about $20 more than the price of the head alone. Now, the midge jaws are usually mounted to the pedestal model and the Regal c-clamp is in my traveling kit.

I don’t tie rotary but I have to be speedy or I get bored. I almost can’t live without a vise that rotates with a quick grab (to view from different angles and perform certain operations). Of course the Regal allows this and with a slight modification, so does the Leonard. Also, I almost can’t live without a gallows attachment at my disposal that rotates with the jaws (instead of being stem-mounted). I made gallows tools for both the Regal midge and the Leonard and now I use both vises about equally. The other vises, mostly old ones, are for playing around with and occasional enjoyment.

Are those anvil vises?

I did a search behalf a friend regarding Anvil Atlas earlier this year, and it seems that the vise manufacturing is not under the Anvil brand anymore. Vises seem to be the same, just different marketing name.