Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good Lord! Some of you people have more than a dozen vises!? Why? I have one piece of sh*t vise that came in a Gander Mountain fly tying starter kit! To say this thing is "crude" would be a compliment! It looks like something hammered out of old beer cans by a group of small children chained to work tables! I am not sure, but, I think it is an AA vise....about $12 anywhere on the net and some places that includes shipping!

If anyone here is wanting to get rid of a working vise, I would be happy to take it off of your hands and make a little more room on your work bench....I would even be happy to pay the postage, so long as it didn't cost more than the vise! I saw the price on the Renzetti vise......it costs more than my kayak and I have a damn nice yak! It's no Hobie, but, I like it.....even if I had to sell a gun to get it!

Old, retired, fixed income and numerous medical issues, but, I love tying flies. Almost as much as using them!

I have several vises because I like vises. I have more than one pair of shoes because my shoes have different functions. I've got more than one firearm because I like firearms. They do different things, like my vises do different things. I could probably get by with a cheap Indian vise, but I don't choose to do so. My vises far outshine my abilities and I don't entertain the belief that a great vise makes up for poor abilities, but hey, I happen to like the mechanical properties of different vises.

If you're happy with a single POS (your description) vise, God love you. I am not, and I don't see why anyone should question your choice, or my choice for that matter. I'm on a budget, but it's not like I'm on Welfare and I happen to like vises.

I like the way my vises line up on my bench. Fly tying for me is more than applying components to a hook. It's not a bottom-line sort of thing. Admit different tastes and you'll understand.

Anyone have more than one wife, because they like wives?

Your argument is invalid ... having more than one wife is illegal.

I understand the "collector's gene" and having several vises, or anything else for the sake of collecting.

I don't have that gene ... but I understand it.

what argument? I was choking... joking. I do have the gene. Unfortunately the gene tends to take up lots of space, judging from my garage. I only have two vises though. Lots of vices but only two vises.

Charles Kerault, Patrick O'Brian. Early Mormons, and some even now.

@Gene

Mine was a rhetorical question. I, too, would love to have a variety of vises, or, even just one good one! Until I get some medical bills paid off and put my one wife in a straight jacket, disconnect her computer and destroy her credit cards....I will get by with my POS. I have found that a good pair of vise grip pliers held in a wood working vise works pretty good. The only problem is that my workbench is too heavy to rotate and it would require both hands.

There is no way I could afford more than one wife....legal or not!

@Gene

Mine was a rhetorical question. I, too, would love to have a variety of vises, or, even just one good one! Until I get some medical bills paid off and put my one wife in a straight jacket, disconnect her computer and destroy her credit cards....I will get by with my POS. I have found that a good pair of vise grip pliers held in a wood working vise works pretty good. The only problem is that my workbench is too heavy to rotate and it would require both hands.

There is no way I could afford more than one wife....legal or not!

I like it lol

I purchased a DK Ultimate Indexer over the winter and love it but seeing that J vise has caused my eye to wander. Those Damacus jaws are just beautiful.

I started with a Peak Rotary and their standard jaw. Decent vise for the money. Once I heard about the hook range on the standard jaw from Dyna-King, I quickly purchased a Professional and an Ultimate Indexer after relegating my Peak to Tube duty. By the way, I got a Barracuda price for the Ultimate Indexer. I couldn't pass it up at that price. :) You can't beat Dyna-King's 8/0-24 jaw. The Dyna-Kings will last my lifetime and will definitely be handed down to the next generation should they want it.

My first vise was out of a kit and it had a hard time staying tight on hooks. Then the C-clamp broke within a couple months. Next vise was a Thompson 360 slt. Ordered it along with a set of midge jaws. Got it, put the midge jaws in it, and have never felt the need to take them out. That was probably in 1995 or so. Still using it. I tie mostly #14 - #22 flies but I can put a # 2/0 plastic worm hook in it and tie an occasional flie for the bass pond next door. Have tied a lot of closers and buggers in size #2 - #6 without much hook slippage or any visible jaw damage. Every few months I browse through eBay and lust over the new vises. So many machined and true rotary beauties. But still haven't pulled the trigger. I have gotten so used to this thing and it still looks as good as new except for a little rust patina on the C-clamp knobs. I think it actually works better than it did when new. The delrin bushings and the cam have become smoother over time. I don't tie production and even took a few years off from tying at one time so this vise might not have as many flies through it as other folks' with much less age on them. But it's a good hook holder, solid as a rock, and let's me adjust the vise angle and rotate to see other side of flies.

I also have a POS vice, I really want a nice one, a peak would be a dream vice for me, but I aint got no money because they shut down

the division of the company I worked for.

:(

somebody put me in their will, :) I promise to use it and take good care of it.

i'll take anything that turns!

( I am so sick of taking it out of the vice and turning it over!)

I started with the cheap cam vise it a regal kit. Then bought a Renzetti traveler c-clamp great for rotary, also aqired a Thompson A c-clamp. Then last year brought a Dyna-King Supreme pedestal its awesome 👏

I've got the Griffin Spyder Odyssey Vise with the cam lever jaws.

A little over $100.00. It's been a solid performer through many trips and hours at home. I've yet to have it lose a hook. Rotation is smooth and can be locked easily to stop it.

No complaints ... so BANG ... for my buck !!!